CV Upgrade to Laser 2001 / Manager?

Discuss the CreatiVision hardware: models, revisions, fixing, hacking and modding.
Scouter3d

CV Upgrade to Laser 2001 / Manager?

Post by Scouter3d » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:37 am

Just a thought / question...

Do you think it is possible to "upgrade" a CV to a fullblown Laser 2001? (be able to load machine language programs from Cassette... like Sonic Invader for the Laser 2001)

Additional Memory and another Bios (Laser 2001) / inkl. Basic should do the trick? would this be possible using only the modulport? (i do not think so... or maybe?)
I am not the expert here...

Please comment...

TOM :0)
Mobsie

Re: CV Upgrade to Laser 2001 / Manager?

Post by Mobsie » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:33 am

about the update i don`t no. The modified basic with new bin load function is no problem if you have the extra ram to load into.
On the ColecoVision they made a perfect new hardware, the SGM = Super Game Module.
colecovision-sgm-opcode.jpg
Is for the expansion port. The idea for the Module is to make more complexed games for our ColecoVision.
The Module upgrade the ColecoVision video game console from its standard 1 K RAM, with up to extra 32 K RAM.

The new Super Game Module has also built in improved sound. An extra sound chip is mounted inside the SGM. The module is just an simple expander for more RAM and better sound. The big games is in the Cartridge itself. I have one and its a great piece of hardware.

Possible is a lot but for the CreatiVision no one will make it :(
Possible and helpful would be the RAM expansion for the CV, a copy from the original. Together with a modified Basic it would be a nice collector item.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:11 am

I believe there would be a market for at least one expansion device for the Creativision. The challenge is to define what it should do, how complex we want it to be and how much it should cost to produce. To add Laser 2001 compatibility per se doesn't seem to add much. So far, I haven't really seen any Laser 2001 specific software, the only tapes I'm aware of load RAM adapted versions of Creativision cartridge games, dunno about floppy disks if there still exists any.

The sound in the SGM is an AY-3-891x. While it has a little nicer properties than the SN76489, I believe the main reason to add one to the ColecoVision is to have an easier way to port MSX games, as the two systems from a hardware point of view then become very much alike. On the CreatiVision, we don't have any VDP + AY cousin to import games from, so it wouldn't make quite as much sense. Rather if we want to dream, I can imagine interfacing either a SID or perhaps some FM/OPL chip? Not that I think that is important though, better aim at methods to load software, perhaps memory expansion and what else could be useful to have.
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:38 am

yes, one expansion in factor like the I/O interface. Inside we have extra RAM and modified basic with use the ram NOT the VDP RAM. Also we have SID inside :D
The interface is like the I/O and here we can also insert cart. games, this games can use the extra ram and the SID.
The basic we can turn on and off with a dip. If someone make this, i order 5!
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:58 am

I would do the contrary: a module to play CreatiVision games on ColecoVision.

Lots of American collectors would buy it because they wouldn't need to find an expensive CreatiVision on Ebay, in order to play CreatiVision games on their NTSC TV ;)
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi, yes. But this is what i NOT want. I want push the exclusive State of the CreatiVision. All people i know and who have one ask for new games. And when new the best will be exclusive.
If you can play the games on a ColecoVision then the ColecoVison User can play their own games, the VCS games and the CreatiVision games.
No one need or want then a CV.
But this is only my thinking, friends told the same. Last week a friend pay $ 2000 for an Matel Aquarius. Play he can on an emu but he want one real.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:45 pm

You know Mobsie, I spoke to several American collectors and their main problem is getting a working NTSC CreatiVision.

They can't play the games because they don't have any suitable hardware.

I think that it's better to develop games for as many players as possible, than to expand the capabilities of a system which people can't use.

For example: your videogames could be played by hundreds (or thousands) of people with a NTSC Colecovision + CreatiVision adapter.

But what happens if no adaptor is available, and they can't find a NTSC CreatiVision? In such case they would never be interested in your games at all. :?

Of course that's just my idea :)
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi,

I think it would be (relativly) easy to mod a PAL Creativision to an NTSC Creativison, one could Change the TMS9929 to a NTSC Counterpart TMS2919 or 18, and bend up the Video out (the NTSC Version has a Composite Signal! and not YUV as in the PAL chips) voila... ????? (maybe an OSC (Quarz) Needs to be changed too)
Or install the F18A VGA Board...
But i am not sure, if the Games would then run faster? (60Hz vs 50Hz)
And: Most of the "modern" TV's can take PAL and NTSC... (so an easy Composite or the bigger RGB Mod should do the trick...)

Greetings TOM:0)
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:51 pm

--> Most of the "modern" TV's can take PAL and NTSC. Yes and soon there is no difference. The plans are finish. I have ordered 2 F18A, one for the TI and one ?, i don`t know.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:16 am

> I think it would be (relativly) easy to mod a PAL Creativision to an NTSC Creativison, one
> could Change the TMS9929 to a NTSC Counterpart TMS2919 or 18, and bend up the Video
> out (the NTSC Version has a Composite Signal! and not YUV as in the PAL chips) voila...
> ????? (maybe an OSC (Quarz) Needs to be changed too)
> Or install the F18A VGA Board...

The right component would be the TMS9928, which is the same as the TMS9929 but with NTSC output.

The main "problem" with your solutions is that owner of a CreatiVision would have to do the mod themselves, and they're not able to do that. I'm talking of several American/Canadian collectors I know, and many many people from the Atariage community for example.

The "perfect" solution to them would be that of a "plug-and-play" module, leaving the console unaltered, and allowing them to use it without having to either mod it themselves, or sending it to some technician to do the job.

> But i am not sure, if the Games would then run faster? (60Hz vs 50Hz)

I have no idea on this. From my memory, I don't remember any noticeable difference between my PAL and NTSC CreatiVisions.

> And: Most of the "modern" TV's can take PAL and NTSC... (so an easy Composite
> or the bigger RGB Mod should do the trick...)

Sad to say that it's not true. PAL+NTSC televisions are the "standard" here in Europe, but most of my friends in USA can't find any PAL televisions on the market, whereas they apparently can find NTSC models only. I have no idea why is that...