Cassette recorder replacement?

Discuss the CreatiVision hardware: models, revisions, fixing, hacking and modding.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Re: Cassette recorder replacement?

Post by MADrigal » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi Tom,
just had a quick read to your posts, and wow looks like you're very close to building the ultimate replacement for CV tape modules! :-)

I just sent you the required pics of the tape module IC's.

On a side note: my Funvision tape module works at double speed than the CV version. Not sure if it was hacked by some repairing service, or it was "factory made" (which I doubt).

By the way, when loading tapes with the FV tape module I got many many read errors or missing lines. The same tapes work 100% when loaded with the CV tape module.
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi Luca,

I have to dig deeper in to the "impedance" of different input / outputs (PC Soundcard, Mic-in, Headphone out, tape in / out ...) and make more tests...

i wonder if the funvision runs the tape faster at playback then at recording!?!?!?

Greetings TOM:-)
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:04 pm

I think it always works at 200% speed, probably changed some plastic wheel in the mechanics, or used shorter strings...
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:53 am

Hi Luca, if your funvision-tapemodule always runs faster (even on recording) , it would only increase "quality" (the same signal on twice as much tape) of the signal but not speed, as the Console outputs the data at a fix rate... Greetings TOM:-)
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi,

Updates ont the CreatiVision "Save-Load":

I managed to SAVE and LOAD BASIC programs using the MIC input and the Headphones output + a little homemade amplifier of my notebook!

SAVE: i simply connected the 2 pins the the mic input and recorded, the signal is very much clipped, but i think thats ok, because it "squares" the waveform really good.

LOAD: i connected the Headphone output to my little Amp (LM386 + 10K resistor + 7805 for creating 5V from the console output...) and was able to load!!!!

PS: with this Setup i was not able to load the "lunar lander" file ...

Will keep you updated...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Again a few updates,

Saving and loading with my small amplifier works very good and reliable ...
So if you only want to save / load your own programms (meanwhile testet with built in notebook soundcard), thats the easiest way...

But i tried something different: i used the inards of a commodore datasette and with this i was also able to load my saved programms!

So maybe there is an easy way to hook up a Commodore Datasette (as they are really cheap) ....

Tell me what you think!

Bill Loguidice

Post by Bill Loguidice » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Scouter3d wrote: So maybe there is an easy way to hook up a Commodore Datasette (as they are really cheap) ....

Tell me what you think!

Well, that certainly would be a viable option for Creativision/Wizzard owners. I know I must have a half dozen datasettes laying around.
=========================
Bill Loguidice
http://about.me/billloguidice
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Tom, why not home-making a bunch of adaptors with connectors for the creativision console and the Commodore datassette? I think that more creativision owners would buy it for cheap.
Bill Loguidice

Post by Bill Loguidice » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:50 pm

MADrigal wrote:Tom, why not home-making a bunch of adaptors with connectors for the creativision console and the Commodore datassette? I think that more creativision owners would buy it for cheap.
I second that. You'd have at least two buyers right here.
=========================
Bill Loguidice
http://about.me/billloguidice
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi!

I will give it a shot at the weekend (right now i only have the inards of one datasette at hand, so i have to dig into my collection and find a complete one ...)

IF!?! the concept works in both directions (save/load) i think it will be a very basic adapter, all that would be needed would be a few electronic parts to get the 2 needed voltages (5V for the electronic inside the datasette and 6,5V for the motor - both generated from the roughly 9V out of the cassette-port) and maybe it is possible to use the "remote" signal as well ... (maybe this needs inverting!)