Cassette recorder replacement?

Discuss the CreatiVision hardware: models, revisions, fixing, hacking and modding.
Scouter3d

Re: Cassette recorder replacement?

Post by Scouter3d » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:22 am

More updates on the "CommoVision" or "Creatisette" Datasette interface...

Yesterday i managed to save and load onto a Commodore Datasette! worked like a charm!

I even was able to swich the tapemotor on / off with the "remote" signal from the CV! But i don´t know if this feature is very "useable" because a Commodore "waits" for Play or Record being pressed, so you can fast forward/rewind to the right tapecounter and then press play and the Commodore starts to load, while loading the same applies to the CV as it will wait until the first Data is received (so one could FF/FR searching the right place to start loading). BUT: when you try to save a programm from the CV - the tapemotor will not allow FF/FR until you entered "CSAVE" and "ENTER" and at that moment the tape needs to be at the desired position, because the CV will start immediately to write data ...

Now there are two ways for me to implement the tapemotor control:
1) only manual control: a small switch to start and stop the tapemotor ... (while running the tapemotor makes noise and gets warm and there is wear on the mechanik or else one could simply leave it running...)
2) remote control from the CV with manual override (for FF/FR): CV starts and stopps the tapemotor automatically at CSAVE and CLOAD, and a small switch/button allows to start the motor for FF/FR...

Which do you think more easy to use?

PS: there needs to be one switch allready, which switches between SAVE and LOAD as the Datasette uses 2 different lines and the CV uses the same line for both commands ...

Greetings TOM:-)
Bill Loguidice

Post by Bill Loguidice » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:50 pm

It sounds like options 2 for the tapemotor control is the safer option. If that's not workable, though, I think based on your target audience, we could certainly live with option 1 (we'd just have to be careful).
=========================
Bill Loguidice
http://about.me/billloguidice
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Today i built the first prototype with all the needed features (Save/Load Switch and manual motor override) ... working like a charm!
See attached picture.

Now i need to design a small pcb...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi,

I have allready designed a pcb, but the next step will take a while longer - as i have broken my collarbone :- ( and cant move my left hand...

greetings tom:- )
Bill Loguidice

Post by Bill Loguidice » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Ouch, that type of injury can take a long time to get back from. Best of wishes.
Bill Loguidice
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:17 pm

oh my god! i had broken my two radius bones and i know how annoying this could be!
take care my friend!
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks very much for the good wishes!
TOM:-)
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Work on the Creativision Datasette Interface is finished!

Works like a charm... (CSAVE and CLOAD)
Looks cool...
Fits even with Creativision Sidepanels attached...
Works with all versions of the Creativision (Dick Smith Wizzard, Hanimex Rameses ...)

BUT: until now not testet with original Creativision or Dick Smith Wizzard Tapes... (simply because i don´t have any :-))

See the whole story here: http://www.8bit-homecomputermuseum.at/r ... rface.html

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:30 pm

OH
MY
GOD
!!!!

Looks soooo professional! I want one, with included instructions manual and deluxe package!!! :-D
Bill Loguidice

Post by Bill Loguidice » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:50 pm

Yep, it's phenomenal... Let us know when you can take our money! ;-)

I'm REALLY looking forward to making my Wizzard usable as a true computer finally.
Bill Loguidice