How to build a creatiVision power supply

Discuss the CreatiVision hardware: models, revisions, fixing, hacking and modding.
carlsson

Re: How to build a creatiVision power supply

Post by carlsson » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:38 am

Yeah, the SVI type of power supply is almost even more hen's teeth due to the hard to find connector in combination with the above mentioned voltages.

For that matter, I haven't had time to open up the 1541 yet but perhaps I'll get an hour to spare over Christmas?
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:54 am

Sad to say, that spare 1541 floppy drive has been resting in its plastic bag for over 1.5 years. In theory I think it will work to reuse the transformer part of its power supply, as it should both have the windings at the right voltages, and designed to handle the required loads of current.

Someone elsewhere commented on new regulations, whether they're specific for the EU or worldwide, about efficiency on power supplies and how much the fees are on lower efficiency. Supposedly it is the reason why we're seeing fewer and fewer single voltage transformers at high output, and that manufacturers would make dual voltage supplies, but then again the one by Doss in Australia seems to have went out of production despite being a dual voltage transformer with several fields of use so I don't know what to make of the information.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:21 am

Hi all

I have made contact with DOSS and unfortunately they confirm the product is now discontinued:

Hi Luca,

Unfortunately these have been very discontinued, and there is no replacement.

Regards,

:cry:
mark-emark

Post by mark-emark » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:42 am

Hi All,

I decided to build a replacement power supply for my DSW using the existing 5 pin, when I tested the cable to locate which wire goes to which pin it got weird. There are 4 wires that come from the transformer Yellow, White, Red & Blue, I could align 3 of them to pins but not the red one. The first strange part was that the middle pin was aligned to the blue wire so it was not like the picture uploaded by MADrigal as the first post in this thread i.e. the middle pin is in use.

I figured there must be a break in the line so I cut the cable slightly further down, then I found a 5th wire! (green) I tested this green wire and it aligned to a pin, so I tested the red wire and still no connection so I am not sure what is going on.

I'll attach a picture of how the 5 pins are wired up and a picture of the transformer and cable.
5 pin din.png

Here's where the wires connect to the transformer
17836711_10154604589357106_1337665884_o.jpg
Then cut 10cm down and a new wire!
17916849_10154604589262106_973575076_o.jpg
Now I'm stumped. any help would be great so I can get it wired up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:59 am

Hi mark-emark,

Maybe your PSU is working, but the Plug was the problem?

Have you opend the 5pin DIN Plug? I guess there are broken solderjoints in the Plug (the red wire should definitely go somwhere ;0) (to the free pin))
and there may be a short between blue and green?

Do you have a multimeter? then you could carefully (because of the mains Voltage!!!!!) measure (with Multimeter set to AC and at least 20V range) between blue/yellow and white/red => should read 18V AC and 9V AC...

greetings, TOM:0)
mark-emark

Post by mark-emark » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:04 am

Thanks Tom, yeah I will have to open the plug up to have a look. I used a multimeter to map the wires to the plug, once it's wired up I'll double check it again. There shouldn't be a short between he blue and green because they each only map to 1 pin using the multimeter.

Also I still don't know where the green wire came from, I'll slice up the cable a bit to see what I can find.

I just didn't want to wire it up until I knew what was going on with the mystery green wire and the locations.
Cheers,
mark-emark

Post by mark-emark » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:25 am

OK I cut the cable open and the green wire literally just starts part way down, it goes nowhere, it just appears and is mapped to the pin I highlighted
17887610_10154604756397106_374800215_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:56 am

Mark, I suggest you look at the connector on the console side. You will find out that the pins/power lines are coupled 1-2 and 4-5. Pin 3 (centre) is not utilised.

This obviously reflects on the power supply DIN
mark-emark

Post by mark-emark » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:10 pm

I ripped the plug apart and looks like the red cable had come loose as mentioned. I'm going to head to the store over the weekend to buy a new 5 pin din. I'll let you know how it goes. Let's just assume I somehow mixed up the green and blue when testing the lines. :)

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.
mark-emark

Post by mark-emark » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:50 am

OK I have the new plug but just looking for some advice for a novice if anyone is able.

On the original diagram there is a red and blue wire, just wondering which is positive and which is negative. Usually red is positive however the fuse is also usually on the live wire which is blue in the diagram, so just looking for some clarity.

Secondly, I've never used a multi-tap transformer before so not sure if anyone can help me out. I purchased the one below, I want to just use the 18v & 9v taps then both negatives to 0v but I feel like there maybe more to it. So if anyone can help that would be amazing. Once it's all done I can post up some pictures and instructions for the one I have done so others can copy.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/9-30v-60va-2a ... r/p/MM2005

Cheers,
Mark.
Here's what I have in my head, let me know if there are any issues, I feel like this isn't right.
power supply.png