sprites that disappear

Discuss the CreatiVision hardware: models, revisions, fixing, hacking and modding.
User avatar
loanmilu
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:43 am

sprites that disappear

Post by loanmilu » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:49 am

good morning
testing one of the consoles that were kindly given to me for repair
I found one that while I'm playing
the sprites on the screen disappear for a few moments
the game continues without any problem but the moving sprites disappear leaving only the background elements
does anyone know what it could be
thank you :)
sorry my english translated
User avatar
@username@
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:59 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: sprites that disappear

Post by @username@ » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:31 am

If the test game is Planet Defender or Deep Sea Rescue - the terrain disappearing is normal.

Otherwise, tell us which game you are using and we can tell you which VRAM locations / registers are in use.
˙uʍop-ǝpısdn sı ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

The creatiVision Emulator 16.04.24
Salora Manager / Laser 2001 BLOAD utility 0.9
CSL Cartridge - Replacement Keyboard - MegaSDCart BIOS
http://sourceforge.net/projects/creativisionemulator
User avatar
loanmilu
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:43 am

Re: sprites that disappear

Post by loanmilu » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:35 pm

@username@ wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:31 am
If the test game is Planet Defender or Deep Sea Rescue - the terrain disappearing is normal.

Otherwise, tell us which game you are using and we can tell you which VRAM locations / registers are in use.

Thanks for the reply
the game I'm talking about is Sonic Invader
both the enemy spaceships and the defending cannon
disappear from the screen for a few moments
the background remains unchanged
I add another question
how can i test the pads having only this game?
thank you :)
User avatar
cheshirenoir
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:17 am

Re: sprites that disappear

Post by cheshirenoir » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:32 am

Well I don't think you'll be able to test anything other than a small number of keys on the controller with just Sonic Invader.
I'd suggest you look at one of the MultiCart solutions. There are powerful ones (Thanks to Scouter3D) and there are Open Source ones you can do yourself.
(Full disclosure! I have an interest in both those solutions :-D)

John
User avatar
@username@
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:59 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: sprites that disappear

Post by @username@ » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:23 pm

Apologies for the delay - work etc

Sonic Invaders stores the Sprite Attribute Table at VRAM 0x300, and the Sprite Pattern Table at VRAM 0x800.

Good luck!
˙uʍop-ǝpısdn sı ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

The creatiVision Emulator 16.04.24
Salora Manager / Laser 2001 BLOAD utility 0.9
CSL Cartridge - Replacement Keyboard - MegaSDCart BIOS
http://sourceforge.net/projects/creativisionemulator
User avatar
MADrigal
Site Admin
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:00 pm
Contact:

Re: sprites that disappear

Post by MADrigal » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:23 pm

Testing the keyboard: you can test most keys with any games.
After you select any game (with the reset button followed by presses of the joystick trigger buttons), start a game by pressing any key on the keyboards. Almost every key is enabled to start games.
If the key works, press reset again, and start a new game with a different key.
Keep doing so with as many keys as you can, and keep a record of the keys that don't work. From memory, the keys at the left and right ends of the keyboards won't work (but I can be mistaken and I dont have a CV handy to test and confirm which keys are "disabled")
Hope this helps!
PS: a diagnostic/multicart fitted with the keyboard diagnostic program or any version of the BASIC interpreter is always the best solution.
User avatar
Scouter3d
Posts: 525
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:02 am
Location: Wien
Contact:

Re: sprites that disappear

Post by Scouter3d » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:12 pm

If you own a multimeter you can simply meassure connectivity on the keypads when you press a key (every keypress needs 2 connections, only SHIFT, CTRL and the two firebuttons need only 1 connection...)

find joystick and keyboard mappings attached...


Joystickmappings.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
loanmilu
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:43 am

Re: sprites that disappear

Post by loanmilu » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:53 pm

@username@ wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:23 pm
Apologies for the delay - work etc

Sonic Invaders stores the Sprite Attribute Table at VRAM 0x300, and the Sprite Pattern Table at VRAM 0x800.

Good luck!
So are you telling me the problem is ONLY in the rams?
I think what you gave me is a mapping of the VRam
the solution is to find which ram works badly or is it more complicated to do? sorry my english thanks for the reply
User avatar
loanmilu
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:43 am

Re: sprites that disappear

Post by loanmilu » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:58 pm

Scouter3d wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:12 pm
If you own a multimeter you can simply meassure connectivity on the keypads when you press a key (every keypress needs 2 connections, only SHIFT, CTRL and the two firebuttons need only 1 connection...)

find joystick and keyboard mappings attached...



Joystickmappings.jpg
Thanks your help is always precious
I have updated the S.O. of the Mac and our emails have evaporated :(
I understand that the controllers are very fragile and I will definitely follow your advice to test all the keys
User avatar
loanmilu
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:43 am

Re: sprites that disappear

Post by loanmilu » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:00 pm

cheshirenoir wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:32 am
Well I don't think you'll be able to test anything other than a small number of keys on the controller with just Sonic Invader.
I'd suggest you look at one of the MultiCart solutions. There are powerful ones (Thanks to Scouter3D) and there are Open Source ones you can do yourself.
(Full disclosure! I have an interest in both those solutions :-D)

John
Thanks John
Post Reply