Does anyone have an early revision CreatiVision they can photograph the PCB for me?

Discuss the CreatiVision hardware: models, revisions, fixing, hacking and modding.
cheshirenoir

Does anyone have an early revision CreatiVision they can photograph the PCB for me?

Post by cheshirenoir » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:18 pm

I'm trying to make sense of my PCB around the VDP clock generator area and I'm starting to think some components have been removed as there are traces that just go nowhere.
This is the top right corner.
If you could take a photo top and bottom of your board of the same revision, I can work out if the board has been badly modded, I've gone mad, or the original designer was mad.
(I literally have tracks going nowhere, and another track that travels across the underside of the board, pops up to the top side of the board, then back the way it came, parallel to the original track. Why?)

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scouter3d

Re: Does anyone have an early revision CreatiVision they can photograph the PCB for me?

Post by Scouter3d » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:05 pm

Hi Chesh,

here are some pics for comparison...

Cheers, TOM:0)
20230413_165715.jpeg
20230413_165709.jpeg
20230311_142329 1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scouter3d

Re: Does anyone have an early revision CreatiVision they can photograph the PCB for me?

Post by Scouter3d » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:07 pm

But mine looks like a bit different revision...

PS: have you checked for bend pins/shorts on the cartridgeport / Joystickports? - Just an idea, but it should be rather sturdy
cheshirenoir

Post by cheshirenoir » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:11 pm

No that's perfect! I think I can see what's going on with mine now. And that photo from the bottom shows the second inductor that I couldn't find on mine. Brilliant.

(My current issue is the clock circuit isn't going into resonance, so the TMS isn't getting a clock. I think someone had been "playing" and your photos prove it)
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:59 pm

Hi, how is going? any positive update?
cheshirenoir

Post by cheshirenoir » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:03 am

Haven't had much time to do anything more than do a "map" of the PCB in the area.
Tempted to desolder everything in the area, reflow all the VIAs, and then carefully repopulate it as per the schematic, component by component.
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:20 am

PS: Did you try another TMS9929?
Or if the VDP-Clock is ticking with the TMS removed?

Cheers, TOM:0)
cheshirenoir

Post by cheshirenoir » Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:33 am

OK, I'm back. Been on a week long cruise to see a total eclipse.
(Totally worth it)

OK so the VDP clock is not ticking even with the 9929 removed. (I think. It's been a long week. I'll check once I have had a proper night's sleep)
I have another 9929 on order.

John