Asian power supply repair

Discuss the CreatiVision hardware: models, revisions, fixing, hacking and modding.
Alugard

Asian power supply repair

Post by Alugard » Mon May 15, 2023 4:08 am

Hi guys,
so i recently got Creativision which showed no signs of life when I tried it. I started to check the power supply with a multimeter and if i put a black probe on the outer ring (or how to explain it I'm not sure) which I suppose is the ground, and check with the red probe all the contacts inside, it gives me 6v more or less.
if I check both probes between the left and right pin inside it gives me 0.6v. Looks like something is off. I opened it, and nothing really suspicious inside and i tried to reach the bottom of the soldered wires but it doesn't look easy, this is what it looks like now. Is there any chance to fix it and how? I really want to keep the original power supply. Thanks!

UPDATE: I checked the soldering on the 5 din end - all looks fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scouter3d

Re: Asian power supply repair

Post by Scouter3d » Mon May 15, 2023 8:06 am

Hi Alugard, welcome to the forum!

please also post pictures of the Powersupply-lable and of the plug (and where you measured exactly)

Please be aware:
1) in Europe and Australia the PSU delivers two AC voltages (9V AC and 16V AC) have you set your multimeter to AC?
the AC voltages are meassured between the two left pins and between the 2 "right" pins
psuplug.jpg
2) Without an inserted cartridge the console also behaves like "dead" when powered on...

I am not sure if the Asian NTSC Version does the same? What version of the Creativision do you own? please post pictur of console and its lable on the bottom...

Cheers, TOM:0)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alugard

Post by Alugard » Mon May 15, 2023 8:21 am

Hey Tom, thanks!

1. Multimeter definitely set to AC. First I measured what is on the left of the photo (sorry for the ugly notes done in Paint). When I measured both contacts on the left and right, both 0v. Update: now I just remeasured the voltage as on photo below on the left and it gives me 1.8v now. Still 0 though between left 2 or right 2 pins.

2. When I tested the console, I cleaned the cartridge contacts, then tried to tune it several times. I just can't get a signal. And I see no any ways to understand is it alive or not.

attaching the photos.
Last edited by Alugard on Mon May 15, 2023 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alugard

Post by Alugard » Mon May 15, 2023 8:25 am

And the console photos:
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Mon May 15, 2023 9:23 am

Hi, thanks for the pictures!

so you definately own a "standard" PSU :0)

Next Step:
Please open the Plug and look for loose / broken wires (i came across 3 or 4 PSUs with broken solderjoints over the years)

Alugard

Post by Alugard » Mon May 15, 2023 9:40 am

As I said, I opened the 5-pin connector and it looks fine. As for the power brink itself, see my first photo - I'm not sure how to reach the wire ends going into the transformer. That is why I also see no easy way to check the continuity of the wires, unless I cut some insulation near the transformer...
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Mon May 15, 2023 10:26 am

The HK model is identical to the UK/Europe/PAL model. Even the wall plug is the same as the European one.
As Scouter3D said, make sure you measure voltage in AC mode (no positive/negative poles)
The power supply looks in very bad state internally and I would be very surprised if you could fix it.
Build a new one as a backup, it will be more reliable and less risk to damage the console itself.
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Mon May 15, 2023 10:34 am

Hi,

as a next step you can check for continuity and shorts

!with the PSU not plugged in!

Switch the multimeter to resistance (Ohm)
A: check for continuity
1) measure between the two pins on the mainsplug (not plugged in!!!!!!!!) should read around 147Ohm
2) measure between the 2 left pins => should be around 1 Ohm
3) measure between the 2 right pins => should be around 3 Ohms

If one of the above reads "OL" or open or much higher => something is wrong

B: Check for "shorts"
1) Measure between the pins on the left and all the other pins or outer shield or pins on the mainplug should read "open, OL"
2) Measure between the pins on the right and all the other pins or outer shield or pins on the mainplug should read "open, OL"

20230515_123123.jpg
Alugard

Post by Alugard » Mon May 15, 2023 10:59 am

MADrigal wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 10:26 am
The HK model is identical to the UK/Europe/PAL model. Even the wall plug is the same as the European one.
As Scouter3D said, make sure you measure voltage in AC mode (no positive/negative poles)
The power supply looks in very bad state internally and I would be very surprised if you could fix it.
Build a new one as a backup, it will be more reliable and less risk to damage the console itself.
It looks bad because i tried to reach the wires as i wrote :) Initially it was looking perfect :)
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Mon May 15, 2023 11:09 am

Alugard wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 10:59 am
It looks bad because i tried to reach the wires as i wrote :) Initially it was looking perfect :)
:D