My Retro 8-Bit Journey & CreatiVision Cloning!

Discuss the CreatiVision hardware: models, revisions, fixing, hacking and modding.
GregZone

My Retro 8-Bit Journey & CreatiVision Cloning!

Post by GregZone » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:41 am

I just thought I'd add a post here, for anyone interested in my on-going journey.

Since introducing myself, after finding CreativEmu a couple of years ago, I've been slowly working on my own flexible retro 8-bit computer enthusiast modular card based system design.

Inspired mostly by two things: Firstly, the rediscovery of my early 80's MC6809 based wire-wrap Eurocard designs. Secondly, by missing out on a Dick Smith Wizzard auction (which lead me to finding CreativEmu) and my recollection of playing with TMS9929A VDP chips back in the day.

Once I'd documented a mechanical board design standard, for my modular card based design, which I've called Minimalist ECB (or MECB), and then developed a Backplane & Prototype card, I first designed a TMS992xA VDP Video Card which also featured a new Alternative VRAM design.

Then, I moved on to a 6809 CPU card and a Motorola I/O + Sound card.

Of interest to folk here, is that the I/O + Sound card was also partly inspired by the CreatiVision design, with a SN76489 Sound Generator connected via Port B of a MC6821 PIA.

I started with a MC6809 CPU card, simply as the Motorola 6809 remains my favourite 8-bit CPU to program (and recreating my early 6809 designs was one of my goals).

But, next I've started work on a 6502 CPU card, with the thought that this could also be configured with a memory map to allow it to mimic the CreatiVision, when paired with the existing TMS Video Card and Motorola I/O + Sound card.

But before I jump the gun (this is a slowly progressing and wider 8-bit retro computing project), I thought some folk here might be interested in the latest step in my journey.

You see, in order to more thoroughly test my initial 6809 modular system, I used the CreatiVision "Christmas Demo" (written by Kurt Woloch), and re-wrote it for the 6809. This enabled me to test Interrupts as well as the Sound interface.

This was an interesting exercise. So, if anyone here wants to see / hear the "Christmas Demo", running on my modular 6809 system, feel free to view my latest video (linked below).

Also, if you want to know more about my journey so far, be sure to visit my Blog at https://digicoolthings.com
Specifically, the menu link "MECB" will take you to a page that documents my journey so far.

So, without further ado, here is the link to my latest video on my Youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/hW4b1gyMIX0
Scouter3d

Re: My Retro 8-Bit Journey & CreatiVision Cloning!

Post by Scouter3d » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:03 am

Wow! this is very nice work! Cheers, TOM:0)