Emulation questions

Discuss the games, programs, utilities... and vaporware!
MADrigal
Site Admin

Re: Emulation quesions

Post by MADrigal » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Well if you look for "creativision emulator" on Google, it will point you to the CreatiVemu website, where are the creativision emulators. Or it will point you to some thread in some forum, where you'll find people discussing on FunnyMu or MESS. :)

After all, MAME is called MAME, but if you look for "arcade games emulators" you'll find MAME, not "Arcade Emulator 1.0" :)

I think CreatiVEmu is a cool name, I invented it long ago. And people looking for infos on CreatiVision, always find CreatiVEmu easily on google.

If you look around, most of the emulators names are different to "this computer emulator". Vice = C64, MESS = computers, MAME = coinops, Callus = Capcom CPS1, etc.

Mine is just a suggestion. Of course you do what you want. :)

I'm home finally, so I'm soon sending you an email since I need a few infos on your emulator.
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Emulator naming can be sensitive. I remember when a new Oric emulator was in the works, to supercede Euphoric. The working name of the new emulator was Atmosfairy (named after the Oric Atmos) but it was considered "too gay" so it didn't work through.
@username@

Post by @username@ » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:07 pm

Guys,

In the past I have ported many emulators to different consoles etc, and had the privilege of working with some people I admire and respect. I can assure you, none of them care what the name is, or how it got it. The one and only concern is that it works! Most of the emulators are still going now, maintained by others and moved on to newer consoles. All the 'GX' range emulators were done originally on the GameCube, and they now live on in the Wii, PS3, X360 etc.

In the day, Charles McDonald helped us turn both his SMS and Genesis emulators into C training courses for new people to PPC. Likewise, Zeograd, author of Hugo, was happy not only for it to continue as Hugo GX, but also allowed me to use a completely new sound engine, with no problems.

This is why I am deeply concerned about your priorities.

The only new thing to me here, is that I decided to write the glue from scratch. I would hope the previous pages show that every detail has been painstakingly verified and researched.

The bonus here has been Mobsie, as he has worked with me all the way through. This has meant that perhaps we moved away from being "just another emulator" to being a useful utility to anyone wishing to do homebrew on the CV.

In conclusion, it's probably best that we continue as we are. When I have anything new, I'll post it here in the forums. I don't really need to be involved in hosting etc, I have plenty of alternatives for that, with folks who share my passion for just getting it right, and could care less about naming.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:56 am

I think you got my "suggestion" in the wrong way. It was in fact... just a suggestion. You can do as you wish of course. ;)

I'm very surprised (and sad) to read that you feel "deeply concerned" about this thing. IMHO there's nothing to be "concerned" about.
@username@

Post by @username@ » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Ok,

For those of you who are interested in the emulator, it's now hosted here http://sourceforge.net/projects/creativisionemulator/

I hope the name doesn't confuse anyone!
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Good luck on your project(s). Please keep us up to date with further progress.
@username@

Post by @username@ » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:30 am

Ok, latest update. Marat has just informed me of a potential rollover bug in the total cycles counter - I've fixed it locally, and will push it up tomorrow.
@username@

Post by @username@ » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to download the emulator from sourceforge. Although not earth shattering, 14 downloads from a community of 32 people is appreciated. Over time I hope to get all the documentation I have together and put that up there too - so the next guy doesn't have to re-invent the wheel as it were.
MADrigal wrote:would you consider the idea of changing the name of your emulator? "Creativision emulator" doesn't sound cool.
Again, good news, our uncool emulator is top on Google and Bing in the UK!

So sincere thanks to those who are supporting it!
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:33 am

@username@ wrote:Again, good news, our uncool emulator is top on Google and Bing in the UK!
I'm getting bored of your sarcasm. I don't understand what you're exactly looking for from me.

I think I have been clear enough in my opinions, suggestions etc., I've been extremely kind with you and offered my support. So I really don't understand what's your problem with me.
@username@

Post by @username@ » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:52 am

Let's put the shoe on the other foot for one moment.

Had I joined the community, and my first public communication with you was "hey - your website is not cool, and the name is wrong'. Quite rightly, you would smile and wave at me, and then proceed to ignore me. Why? it's extremely rude and disrespectful to the work which has been done by you, and as you never asked for suggestions, quite improper.

The reason I continue to point out how far off the mark with the name, is that I hope any other new member of the community does not have to feel intimidated, or that your opinion is any more valid. If you believe in your own project - keep going with whatever you think is right. Invariably, youll find it produces a more focused project if it''s not designed by committee.

My issue, is that I have not been rude or discourteous to anyone here, until they decided to be rude to me.

My personal stand point, is that I won't make suggestions or offer assistance, unless the original poster has explicitly asked for it, or there is some value I can add to the discussion.