Quick opinions about lots of games

Discuss the games, programs, utilities... and vaporware!
RayXambeR

Quick opinions about lots of games

Post by RayXambeR » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Here are my first impressions about some of CV games:

- astro pinball : nice graphics, a fast ball animation but a real lack of fun and accuracy with the flippers. So, it is near impossible to aim bumpers, etc.

- auto chase : nice little game. Great graphics but it seems really difficult. I have noticed that the smoke at the rear of the car can completely miss the dark cars!

- chopper rescue : it seems to be a zaxxon-like but I haven't found any fire possibility. I can slalom between buildings, pass through tank fuels but … what else? I have seen a sort of fly but it destroys me when I enter in contact with it.

- deep sea adventure: has silimarities with Defender and smooth scrolling. It seems to no have a goal. Cool game but quickly boring.

- locomotive : it seems to be a remake of Burgertime. Relatively fun and with good realization but not very easy and the movements of the main character are not very accurate according to me. I prefer Burgertime on Intellivision!

- planet defender : clone of defender with very smooth scrolling. Just too bad that there is people to save on the ground. So it is just a basic horizontal shoot 'em up. But very great animation! Far better cosmic avenger on colecovision.

- police jump : clone od donkey kong but with some good ideas. The fact that the three screen are not separated is great, and there is some changes in comparison with DK. No hammer, we have just to go on the top platform to pass the level, the rivets cannot be take off by jumping but only by walking on them. The difficulty seems a bit higher than DK (on colecovision for example)

- soccer: completely horrible. a lot of flickering and a sluggish animation. Probably the worst game on this system.

- stone age: very good graphics. Love the fact that the position of rocks is randomized. But don't understand if it is a commercial game or an unreleased? Good concept too.

- tank attack: not tested for the moment

- tennis: good graphics, smooth animation. This tennis program seems to be similar to the Atari 2600 real sports but is has not its gameplay and its replay-value. The Atari tennis game is fantastic, with really sped animation, good playability. Here the movements of tennis men is not very accurate and it is near impossible to play volley and it is near impossible to master the ball. As I love playing tennis in real life I am a bit disappointed with this game. Final Match Tennis on Nec PCEngine is the best :-)
MADrigal
Site Admin

Re: Quick opinions about lots of games

Post by MADrigal » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:27 pm

> astro pinball : nice graphics, a fast ball animation but a real lack
> of fun and accuracy with the flippers. So, it is near impossible to
> aim bumpers, etc.

100% true!

> auto chase : nice little game. Great graphics but it seems really difficult.

really? i find it very easy, quite fun actually :)

> chopper rescue : it seems to be a zaxxon-like but I haven't found any fire
> possibility.

you're not supposed to shoot. fire buttons are "gas" and "drop" as reported on the "joystick overlay" and manuals included in the Multicart. Please read it. The game is not fun in my opinion... quite boring. The ironic side of the story is that it was MUCH more expensive than other CV games.

> deep sea adventure: has silimarities with Defender and smooth scrolling.

it's the same as Planet Defender with different graphics. Nice to play for 10 minutes. :)

> locomotive : it seems to be a remake of Burgertime. Relatively fun and
> with good realization but not very easy and the movements of the main
> character are not very accurate according to me.

really? I love it and I complete many stages both on real hardware and emulated on PC.

> I prefer Burgertime on Intellivision!

Me too :)

> police jump : clone od donkey kong but with some good ideas. The fact that the
> three screen are not separated is great, and there is some changes in comparison
> with DK. No hammer, we have just to go on the top platform to pass the level, the
> rivets cannot be take off by jumping but only by walking on them.

well it's an 8 KBytes game only. I suppose there was no "space" to fit everything in. But I think it's a very very good clone of DK.

> The difficulty seems a bit higher than DK (on colecovision for example)

That's because the policeman is harder to control in my opinion.

> soccer: completely horrible.

I agree! :)

> stone age: very good graphics. Love the fact that the position of rocks
> is randomized. But don't understand if it is a commercial game or an
> unreleased? Good concept too.

It's a commercial game. The last game ever released for CV.

> tennis: good graphics, smooth animation.

I think it was the very best Tennis game available on game consoles in 1981.

Anyway you didn't mention Crazy Chicky, Air-Sea Attack, Mouse Puzzle and Sonic Invader. So I want to read your impressions on those as well. :)

In my opinion Sonic Invader is the best game for CV when you play it in 2-player versus mode. I even took tournaments on that game in 2P-mode, and players were very very happy with it :)
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:30 am

i like auto chase, is like vic radar ratrace on the vic-20. You must try Mouse Puzzle, for me the best game on the CV (for now).
Crazy Chicky is also very funny, my children like to play it.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:31 am

i find mouse puzzle quite entertaining, but i'm not crazy about it.

crazy chicky: i really dont like it, it's TOO slow. maybe it's fun in 2-players mode. never tried it that way though.
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:15 am

Yes, is Slow. As i Write its a Kids Game. is Not Doom :D
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:13 pm

:D :D :D
RayXambeR

Post by RayXambeR » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:02 pm

I have to play more these games and test the ones I haven't find time to play!
But my first contact with the system is mainly great. The joystick are better than the one of the Colecovision (the other "CV" system!) and Intellivision even the controller has similarities with this latter.
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:08 am

I also think Tennis is very good for being 1981. I played through a dozen various tennis games a couple of months ago, and found the Creativision game to be one of the better ones, in particular considering its age.
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:00 am

Regarding Stone Age, is it correct that nobody has seen a box or other artwork for that title? It was asked on AtariAge, as it turns out VTech under the label TechnoVision (also distributed by pirates (?) in Brazil under the CCE label) produced a couple of Atari 2600 games that are ports of CreatiVision games, namely Locomotive, Stone Age and possible some more, undiscovered title. The Brazilians made up their own artwork for Stone Age, but I don't know if it at all relates to VTech's original artwork. See also this page: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-26 ... _7500.html
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:10 pm

> Regarding Stone Age, is it correct that nobody has seen a box or other artwork for that title?

That's true, sadly. A friend of mine told me that he knows a Finnish collector who owns a boxed complete game, but he never finds the time to send me pictures of it. I've been waiting for over a year now. :(

> It was asked on AtariAge, as it turns out VTech under the label TechnoVision (also distributed
> by pirates (?) in Brazil under the CCE label) produced a couple of Atari 2600 games that are ports
> of CreatiVision games, namely Locomotive, Stone Age and possible some more, undiscovered title.

Technovision you said? This is very interesting and it's a real surprise.

You know, last week I got several (empty) "shipper boxes" of CreatiVision cartridge games. Each shipper box contained 4 games. Now I have FOUR variations of those shipper boxes. They're all made of brown cardboard, most of them have printed codes such as "80-0..." and... a few of them have a print reading "TECHNOVISION" which was cancelled by a black marker!

I thought that VTech ordered a certain number of shipper boxes to a cardboard manufacturer, and they wrongly printed "Technovision" instead of "CreatiVision". I thought the mistype was due to the fusion of "Video TECHNOlogy" and "CreatiVISION".

But the info you provide now make me rethink of my theory.

Have you got more information or a full article on Technovision?

> The Brazilians made up their own artwork for Stone Age, but I don't know if it at
> all relates to VTech's original artwork. See also this page:
> http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-26 ... _7500.html

The game is claimed to be a Pengo clone. Is the ROM available somewhere, to play with emulator? Maybe it has the same sound and gameplay as the CreatiVision version...