C - Compiler

Talk about programming CreatiVision (except games programming). Projects of homebrew hardware are also welcome.
Mobsie

C - Compiler

Post by Mobsie » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:17 am

Hi,
some friends use this compiler (cc65) to make small (but great) games in C. Maybe is interesting for someone here. If yes, we can think about to transfer the needed libraries for use with the CreatiVision.

Here the link: http://oliverschmidt.github.io/cc65/

I make a test on different computers and it looks for me more powerful then "Quetzalcoatl" > http://www.kdef.com/geek/vic/quetz.html

Br,
Mobsie
carlsson

Re: C - Compiler

Post by carlsson » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:55 am

I've tried to use cc65 for C64 and VIC-20 projects. It is fairly good, but will require a lot of RAM on the target machine. As you know, the Creativision only has 1K CPU RAM, so either we need support libraries for the runtime to squeeze workspace from the VDP memory, or we need cartridges with built-in RAM expansion to use C. I believe the NES guys use cc65 or a variant of it, but the NES also has more RAM than the Creativision has.

There may be other higher level languages that could be adopted, I'm mainly thinking of something like Batari Basic for the 2600 that in theory may be retargeted to the Creativision as they share the CPU and reasonably little amount of RAM. Those who try hard can create amazing games with Batari, sometimes not far from hand coded machine code.

Another possible candidate may be Slang by Stephen Judd. However it seems that language hasn't been developed since 2006. It started as a SuperCPU project but with a cross compiler for Windows, it shouldn't be required anymore. However I remember reading that the generated code gets rather large, not sure if that means read-only code or that it requires a lot of workspace RAM as well.