CSL Cart...

Talk about programming CreatiVision (except games programming). Projects of homebrew hardware are also welcome.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Re: CSL Cart...

Post by MADrigal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:14 pm

> Sadly loading original Laser 2001 tapes will most likely not work,
> as they have a different timing... but there are only 2 people i
> know who actually own original Laser 2001 Tapes and one of them
> is me ;0) and i will surely convert my tape to be loadable on the
> CSL...)

I see. That's different to what I had been told by Michael, he probably was not aware of the progresses of the interface.

So the CSL "kit" will be sold with the "tape interface"? It's a good idea. I would like to load original L2001/SM tapes, not the "converted" versions. I am sure I'll put my hands on original tapes sooner or later :-)

> But: if you want to load from PC-Soundcard or iPod / mp3 Player you
> will need the little tapeinterface to connect the CV to PC

So all in all... the original CV tape player becomes somehow useless with the CSL module - unless you load original L2001/SM games with the CSL tape interface, and then save them to the CreatiVision tape module. Is this so?

> Cassette Adapters, They sold for Car Radios without CD/Line Input...
> and place it in your Creativision Tapedrive - i tried this also with my
> CV-Datasette Interface and one of these Cassette Adpters...)

What's that adapter you're talking about? Seems unfamiliar to me.

> The small tapeinterface will be available with the CSL Cart (an can be
> used also with BASIC on the normal CV)

What's the use of the CSL tape interface on the CreatiVision?

Also, is it very different to the gorgeous "CV Datassette Interface" you designed 2 years ago? Is it "equivalent" to a CV tape recorder?

> The CSL Loader is a small BASIC program, that loads the Binary part
> (Cartridge Image) and starts it.

OK so it's saved on the WAV file, is it so?

> The CSL Loader (in combination with an addition to the CSL BIOS) does the
> "RESET Trick".

OK. Question. Is the "tape-tool" coded by @username@ including that nice "CSL loader" on the WAV file, or was it added "manually"?

> PS: The CSL works with all Versions of the CreatiVision (MKI, MKII, Dick Smith
> Wizzard, and also on the rare Versions like Funvision, Hanimex Rameses although
> i have not tested them (as i do not own one of these beauties...)

Well... I just got a boxed Funvision today, fully working, to resell for good money - sorry I need money to finance my move abroad.

> TOM:0) (Up to his elbows in the CV / CSL Hardware)

Hooray! Thanks very very much for the nice update and the gorgeous video. I can't wait to see the whole thing complete and working. :-)

All the best! :-)
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:23 am

Hi,

Here a few answers... ;0)

Yes, the CSL tape Interface will be sold with the CSL Cart as a "kit", but i am sure, i will also offer it on ist own and (if anyone wants this?) the CSL cart without the tape Interface... (the tape Interface will only cost a few euros to produce...)

Here is a picture of the Cassette Adapters for Car Radios i was talking about....
(you can use one of them to load from PC thru this Adapter into the CV Tape Player and finally into the CV or CSL)
tapeadapter.jpg
The normal CV Tape Player will not become obsolete with the CSL Cart. It can be used with the CSL to:
LOAD and SAVE own Programs on tape (like with normal CV Basic only better... because CSL now also allows BLOAD / BSAVE...)
LOAD original Salora Manager Tapes ;0)
LOAD programs from PC (using the above mentioned Car-Tape Adapter)

BUT: you wont Need an original CV Tape Player, because with the CSL tape Interface you can simply LOAD / SAVE to PC Soundcard or other Audiosource / Recorder.

The CSL tape Interface will also work on the CV without the CSL Cart, using CV BASIC you can also save and load (only BASIC programs, as CV BASIC has no ability to Load / Save binaries) to any Audiosource / Recorder.

The CSL tape Interface is very different to my CV Datasette Interface (to use commodore Datasette on the CV). The CV Datasette Interface simply allows to "replace" the original CV tape Player with a commodore Datasette, and the Datasette does all the necessary Signal conversions to save and load reliable from/to tape.

The CSL tape Interface does all the Signal conversions on its own, so any Standard Audiorekorder/Audiosource (PC, iPod, Tape, CD, Tablets...) can be used.

The supplied tape conversion Software written by @username@ (creates wav files from Rom Images (bin) or emulator cas files...) will add the CSL Loader to the created wavs (if necessary) the more adventureous can Also use BLOAD to load binarys... Naturally there is no Need for the CSL Loader when you simply load / save Basic programs (CSAVE, CLOAD, CRUN)

Any more questions - feel free to ask!

Ciao, TOM:0)

PS: I would love to get my Hands on the boxed Funvision... ;0)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:47 pm

> Yes, the CSL tape Interface will be sold with the CSL Cart as a "kit", but i am sure,
> i will also offer it on ist own and (if anyone wants this?) the CSL cart without the
> tape Interface... (the tape Interface will only cost a few euros to produce...)

That's great. :-)

> Here is a picture of the Cassette Adapters for Car Radios i was talking about....

Aha now I understand. :-)

> The normal CV Tape Player will not become obsolete with the CSL Cart. It can be
> used with the CSL to:
> ...
> LOAD original Salora Manager Tapes ;0)

I still don't understand this... You wrote "Sadly loading original Laser 2001 tapes will most likely not work, as they have a different timing...". Let's make it clear please: a CSL module + CV tape player (no CSL tape addition) will allow the use of original Laser 2001 tapes?

> The CSL tape Interface will also work on the CV without the CSL Cart,
> using CV BASIC you can also save and load (only BASIC programs, as
> CV BASIC has no ability to Load / Save binaries) to any Audiosource /
> Recorder.

That will be a "more flexible version" to your great "Datassette interface" - great! :-)

> The CSL tape Interface does all the Signal conversions on its own, so
> any Standard Audiorekorder/Audiosource (PC, iPod, Tape, CD, Tablets...)
> can be used.

:-)

> Any more questions - feel free to ask!

> PS: I would love to get my Hands on the boxed Funvision... ;0)

It's a top-wanted item, I never thought you were after "collecting rare items". I thought you were a tech-boy! :-)
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi,

Regarding original LASER 2001 tapes...

As they have a different Timing they will not load on the CSL Cart (regardless of the tape Interface you use...) without converting.

LASER 2001 tapes can only be loaded on the LASER 2001 (and the Salora Manager! as both maschines use a different method of loading (Interrupt driven) then the CV or CSL) and this method allows the Salora Manager to also read LASER 2001 Tapes although he normally saves and loades at a different Timing...)

To load LASER 2001 tapes on the CSL you would need to load them into a Salora Manager and then save them again from there in Salora Manager Timing...

Salora Manager Tapes will load on the CSL (from any Tape drive attached (original, CV Datasette Interface, or through the new CSL tape Interface...))

TOM:0)

PS: Yes, i am more of a techie, but i like cool machines too ;0)
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:44 pm

So... Laser 2001 "commercial" tapes and Salora Manager "commercial" tapes are different?!?!?

Is this because of a difference in hardware of the two machines, or is it because the BASIC interpreters use different routines to "encode/decode" data to tape?
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi,

Yes, Salora and Laser 2001 tapes are different...

They use the same Hardware, but the different BIOS/BASICS use different values (Timing) for SAVE / LOAD
But they will load each others tapes ;0) (i see no reason, why they changed the timing...)

TOM:0)
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:27 pm

Now this makes sense.

At this point I feel that I would be vfery interested in a Laser 2001-based CSL module, both for the charset which matches the "international" keyboard, and the compatibility to Laser 2001 tapes.

Carlsson owns a Laser 2001, and maybe he would share the dump of his BASIC ROM. I believe the dump is not yet public as it's missing from the MESS driver too. :(
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the offer, but we have allready dumped both, the Salora Manager and the LASER 2001 BIOS/BASIC... ;0)

The CSL CART uses Kind of a "mix" between these two (ie. using the LASER 2001 Charset! as no one really Needs the finnish Special characters...) (with a lot of additions ;0))

Theoretically it would be possible to find the right timing for the LASER 2001 tapes, but they are so "off Limits" to the other signals, that it would mean a lot of work (figuring out/adapting the right values for the Salora took about 20 BIOS Revisions... LASER 2001 would Need even more as it has different timing values for "0" and "1" and the Salora uses only "one value" and "double that value"... and finding the right values for a reliable LOAD is not easy due to the "CV" way of loading we have to use.

So most likely we will not implement native LASER 2001 Tape Support, but put our energy in a few other nice additions... ;0) Sorry...

Ciao, TOM:0)
PS: Madrigal, If you ever come across original LASER 2001 tapes, you can load them on your Salora Manager without problems ;0)
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:21 pm

Thanks for the VERY clear explanation!

I understand you have done an incredible amount of work! I'm totally impressed! :o
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:01 am

Me too! I always imagined that the Salora tape releases just were rebadged Laser releases, but based on what you describe it sounds like they were converted into a newer format. There is also the question on BASIC version - I haven't yet had time to bring out my Laser 2001 to check it again. Is it out of the question that the signal compatibility lies in in the BASIC version rather than whether it is a VTech Laser or Salora model?

I suppose I could write some simple BASIC programs on my 2001 and save those, just to see if the signals equal those odd ones you need to convert, or match those on the Salora that the CSL cartridge will be able to load itself.