Conventional structure for 18k and bigger images?

Talk about programming CreatiVision (except games programming). Projects of homebrew hardware are also welcome.
Fabrizio Caruso

Conventional structure for 18k and bigger images?

Post by Fabrizio Caruso » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi everyone,

what structure do emulators (such as Mame or Mess) conventionally expect for 18k and bigger rom images?
For 16k I know I need to invert the two 8k blocks.
What should I do for 18k images? and for bigger images? What is the maximum size I can have on an emulator and or real hardware equipped with special multi-card?
Scouter3d

Re: Conventional structure for 18k and bigger images?

Post by Scouter3d » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:30 am

Hi Fabrizio,
here are my 2 cents...

The Creativision can use a maximum of 32kb cartridge (2*16Kb blocks) (i guess the emulators do so as well)

As i understand Mame uses cart images, that reflect the original physical cartridge, as many cartridges on the Creativison use 2 smaller ROM chips instead of 1 big chip, Mame wants the files also split into according pieces...
I guess it was cheaper in production to use 2x4k, 2x8k, 1x8+1x4 instead of one bigger chip...
If an original cart uses 2 chips these 2 banks are selected on the Creativision by the ChipselectSignal /ROM1 ($8000-$BFFF) and /ROM2 ($4000-$7FFF) (more or less Addresslines 14 and 15)
AFAIK this is the only "addressflipping the real CV hardware does as ROM2 is the lower memoryaddress than ROM1

TOM:0)
Fabrizio Caruso

Post by Fabrizio Caruso » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:13 pm

So, if I create a cartridge image, I need to swap the 2 16kb blocks, i.e., the higher block should come before the lower one. When I try to load such a cartridge I get an error in Mame/Mess about its size:
Fatal error: Device CreatiVision Cartridge Slot load failed: Image extends beyond the expected size for an APF cart

I get a similar error if I use a 24 images where I put the first 8k at the end.

If I create a 18k image where I put the first 8k block at the end, I get a white frozen screen.

So far, I have only managed to get 8k and 16k (swapped 8k blocks) to work.

My non-working experiments are in:
https://github.com/Fabrizio-Caruso/CROS ... uilds#L254

My working cases are in:
https://github.com/Fabrizio-Caruso/CROS ... rgets#L388
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 am

Hi,

i think part of the problem (the biggest part) is the MAME/MESS emulation itself, as there are no 32kb original carts...
maybe there is a need to define a 2*16kb cartridge scheme for MAME

the real hardware has no problem with the 32kb...

TOM:0)