New Open Source MultiCart released

Tell us whatever CreatiVision-related story you want!
Scouter3d

Re: New Open Source MultiCart released

Post by Scouter3d » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:06 am

memorymaps.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:20 am

The memory mapping is correct. The question is: for development purpose, would it not be better to have a single 32K ROM that spans ROM1 and ROM2 without having to swap them all the time? At the end of the day, CreatiVision multicarts all are based on 32K ROMs, so at the end of the day, having them swapped or not, should not make any difference in terms of used space. But would make things easier for developers using the 32K without worrying of swapping banks?
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:48 pm

Oh! Yes, i understand!
come to think of it, my "Everycard" (CSL PCB with a few patchwires and cuts does exactly that (only for 1 x 32kb) ...
i had to unswap the swapped version of crosschase to work on it...
Ciao, TOM:0)
Rastervision

Post by Rastervision » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:50 pm

cheshirenoir wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:12 am
Rastervision, thanks for sharing that. I'll do a revision with "THIS SIDE UP" on it shortly. Should be a quick fix :-)
Seeing Clockmeister and my work used like this... It makes me very happy.
I've also designed a shell for it but I'm a bit limited by my lack of actual 3D printer.
I was able to get this to work with a Momik memsim 2, emulating a 32kb EPROM. This is a fairly inexpensive EPROM emulator:
http://momik.pl/memsim.htm

I will also be testing with an EPROM-EMU-NG, which is a cheaper eprom emulator:
https://github.com/Kris-Sekula/EPROM-EMU-NG

The memsim is a 32 pin device, whereas the EPROM-EMU-NG is 28 pin. I'm not sure if that will cause an issue or not. I suspect it shouldn't.
Last edited by Rastervision on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rastervision

Post by Rastervision » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:52 pm

MADrigal wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:20 am
The memory mapping is correct. The question is: for development purpose, would it not be better to have a single 32K ROM that spans ROM1 and ROM2 without having to swap them all the time? At the end of the day, CreatiVision multicarts all are based on 32K ROMs, so at the end of the day, having them swapped or not, should not make any difference in terms of used space. But would make things easier for developers using the 32K without worrying of swapping banks?
In my case, that's one line in a build file. Not a huge issue really, And, it doesn't affect the code.
cheshirenoir

Post by cheshirenoir » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:59 am

OK, moved things to GitHub and stuck up a new version. I don't yet have the line swap in but it does have a prominent "THIS SIDE UP" and two holes to assist in mounting. I'm thinking, if I can, I'll make the line swap cuttable traces plus solderable bridges so it works out of the box, but is easy to flip.
https://github.com/cheshirenoir/CreativisionMegaCart
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:29 pm

i also use this kind of eprom simulator, great way of test your stuff