Me interviewed at Good Deal Games!

Tell us whatever CreatiVision-related story you want!
MADrigal
Site Admin

Me interviewed at Good Deal Games!

Post by MADrigal » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:15 pm

I've been interviewed by Michael Thomasson of Good Deal Games (link: http://www.gooddealgames.com/) with questions concerning my experiences as a programmer of handhelds simulators, creatiVision emulator, and co-author of the Multicart.

I think the interview is a good source of informations for creatiVision fans, so here's the link - in case you're willing to read it. :)

link: http://www.gooddealgames.com/interviews ... gnano.html
carlsson

Re: Me interviewed at Good Deal Games!

Post by carlsson » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:09 pm

Nice article!
Firstly the CreatiVision BASIC language is totally crap!
It makes me think what really could get homebrewing going, is a compiled higher-level language that produces a machine code program in cartridge format. A few examples:

* A New Basic compiler, similar to Batari Basic for the Atari 2600
* A custom programming language, similar to Slang for the C64
* A library for the C compiler cc65

It won't be done in an afternoon, but if someone takes on this task (a community project?) it could be bridge to heaps of new software. All those alternatives would have the option to output ASM code for hand tweaking, or sent directly to the linker.

Oh well, we could continue this discussion in one of the other subforums.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Re: Me interviewed at Good Deal Games!

Post by MADrigal » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:23 am

carlsson wrote:It makes me think what really could get homebrewing going, is a compiled higher-level language that produces a machine code program in cartridge format. A few examples:

* A New Basic compiler, similar to Batari Basic for the Atari 2600
* A custom programming language, similar to Slang for the C64
* A library for the C compiler cc65

It won't be done in an afternoon, but if someone takes on this task (a community project?) it could be bridge to heaps of new software. All those alternatives would have the option to output ASM code for hand tweaking, or sent directly to the linker.
I totally agree your opinion. I also had the same thought/idea about this, but I don't consider myself capable of coding such a programming environment. A community project might be a good idea, but the "community" itself is very small, and our talented programmers don't have much time for such things.

I would like to peek into the Batari source code, maybe I'll get some useful ideas. ;)