Carlsson's creatiVision / Laser 2001 collection

Show off what you got! Post pictures of your CreatiVision collection here.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Re: Carlsson's creatiVision / Laser 2001 collection

Post by MADrigal » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:35 pm

carlsson wrote:I forgot you requested a WAV recording of that one. I might handle it tonight, if I can find a working tape recorder.
yep!

please make sure to record left + right channels.
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:44 pm

I own at least 3-4 working cassette recorders, but all are in mono. :x The tape function on my kitchen radio no longer works at all. Right now the only recorder that separates left and right is my stereo set in the livingroom. I'd rather not buy a fifth tape recorder solely for this purpose, so possibly I will connect the mic in on my netbook to the phones out on my stereo set and record the sound that way. It is far from optimal, but since I don't even own a stereo walkman it'll have to do.

At least I can tell as much as the background music on the VTech release is different from the Dick Smith release. The speaker also is different, perhaps even so the VTech guy speaks a more neutral English compared the more Aussie sounding guy on the DSE release.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:24 pm

carlsson wrote:I own at least 3-4 working cassette recorders, but all are in mono. :x The tape function on my kitchen radio no longer works at all. Right now the only recorder that separates left and right is my stereo set in the livingroom. I'd rather not buy a fifth tape recorder solely for this purpose, so possibly I will connect the mic in on my netbook to the phones out on my stereo set and record the sound that way. It is far from optimal, but since I don't even own a stereo walkman it'll have to do.
I remember I had similar problem when I decided to record my CV tapes on WAV sample.

In the end I used a ghettoblaster and connected it to the mic connector of the PC audio board too. But I had a few problems due to the audio board, which recorded in FM instead of AM (or vice versa, I dont remember...)
carlsson wrote:At least I can tell as much as the background music on the VTech release is different from the Dick Smith release. The speaker also is different, perhaps even so the VTech guy speaks a more neutral English compared the more Aussie sounding guy on the DSE release.
Wow that's very interesting, I eager to listen to it! :-)
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:18 pm

Drat. The microphone input on my Eee PC appears to only do mono. Even if I specify two channels in Audacity, I get same audio on both. It means I need to find some decently portable, stereo capable cassette radio or move my stationary PC into the livingroom. Oh well, eventually I will find a solution to this.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:39 am

EEEpc mono? Wow that's really disappointing!!! Manufacturer must have saved money whenever he had the chance to! :oops:

You may want to think about using a long wire to connect your desktop PC to some of your home stereo?
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:42 am

As part of a recent trade, I got another boxed Basic. It is a Dick Smith edition in thick box, but no manual. Some of those days I'll inventory which Creativision items I've still got.

Besides, did the recordings of my two tapes ever process properly or should I try to "re-dump" them in case it was a matter of sound quality?
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:44 am

Sure, you should update your collection and tell me what you have for trade :)

Did you see the updates in my collection and the trades/sales list in Marketplace? I now have a Rameses to sell/trade
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:38 pm

By the way, if you spotted and bid on some of the Creativision games from Sweden recently on eBay, that was my friend who lives 1 km away. Before he sold them, I checked that I already owned all the titles. For some reason, it seems my city of Västerås is a bit of a Creativision Mekka, as we are five (!) people who own one or more Creativision systems. Locally it is almost getting as common as e.g. an Atari 800XL... still worth a little but nobody would sacrifice an arm for yet another Creativision console.

I don't know how it happens that so many consoles and games of the same, relatively rare system show up at the same place.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:10 pm

Yep, I contacted the seller in those auctions, but sadly all the games lacked the instructions manual - and you know how important it is to me to get the manuals! ;)

I assume that there was a good computers shop in your town, back in the days... maybe they spent much effort in advertising the Creativision, and many people bought it.

Well I think that you should put some advertisement on local newspapers, asking for "people who owns or owned Creativision"... maybe you'll find useful informations or eventually new/obscure hardware ;)
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:07 pm

FWIW, today my friend picked up another boxed Creativision at the local flea market. The seller promised to locate the power supply and a couple of games shortly. I'll have a look if there is anything particular to archive in that pile, and we'll see if he keeps it or posts it for sale.