Crazy Chewy arcade game?

Discuss computers from the Laser series, Time & Fun handhelds, etc.
carlsson

Crazy Chewy arcade game?

Post by carlsson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:20 am

By chance, I stumbled across this entry in the International Arcade Museum (a.k.a. KLOV):
http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detai ... me_id=7425

What is known about this game? There are several sites referring to it, but most of them contain zero information. I noticed MADrigal has released a simulator of the tabletop game Crazy Chewy, part of VTech's series Electronic Tiny-Arcade, but surely the site above could not have mixed up a tabletop game with a upright arcade game?

Is Crazy Pucker the original title, followed by Crazy Chewy and Crazy Moonie (?) before they reversed the gameplay and changed graphics to become the Creativision game Crazy Chicky? If the year 1980 is accurate, wouldn't it slightly predate the Creativision and thus seem like VTech already tried to circumvent trademarks by giving it a name that doesn't resemble Pac or Puck? I suppose technically it would be fully possible to put together a Creativision compatible system already in 1979/80: the 6502, VDP and PSG were all invented, although perhaps TI didn't yet sell the two latter to third party hardware manufacturers in any greater scale.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Re: Crazy Chewy arcade game?

Post by MADrigal » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:29 pm

> http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detai ... me_id=7425

never heard of it before. impressive!

> What is known about this game? There are several sites referring to it, but most
> of them contain zero information.

maybe it's just a prototype or vaporware.

> I noticed MADrigal has released a simulator of the tabletop game Crazy Chewy,
> part of VTech's series Electronic Tiny-Arcade, but surely the site above could
> not have mixed up a tabletop game with a upright arcade game?

i agree.

> Is Crazy Pucker the original title, followed by Crazy Chewy and Crazy Moonie (?)
> before they reversed the gameplay and changed graphics to become the Creativision
> game Crazy Chicky?

sure. on the creativision it's pucker/chewy/moonie/chicky.

> If the year 1980 is accurate, wouldn't it slightly predate the Creativision and thus
> seem like VTech already tried to circumvent trademarks by giving it a name that
> doesn't resemble Pac or Puck?

i share your same opinion, that would be a pre-dating. no idea what has happened.

> I suppose technically it would be fully possible to put together a Creativision compatible
> system already in 1979/80: the 6502, VDP and PSG were all invented, although perhaps
> TI didn't yet sell the two latter to third party hardware manufacturers in any greater
> scale.

i recently got information from a friend/collector (dont remember who actually), who got information about a vietnamese producer of pong-in-a-chip consoles, which might be the actual "engineer" of the creativision hardware. the company was called Oltron or Otron.
he fancies that the creativision was designed in vietnam, then offered to several videogame retailers, including vtech. and vtech "bought" the project, and made the creativision a true console.
this all happened around 1979.
btw, now i have proofs that creativision sold in 1981 in hong kong. probably early 1981.
the production codes of creativision items are earlier than the ones on the "time & fun" also manufactured by vtech in 1981, which were actually available on the shelves in 1981.
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:33 pm

Yes, Otron is a rather well known Pong manufacturer, e.g. Otron Gamatic various models. I didn't know it was Vietnamese, but why not?
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:01 am

carlsson wrote:Yes, Otron is a rather well known Pong manufacturer, e.g. Otron Gamatic various models. I didn't know it was Vietnamese, but why not?
Hm... Not sure it's from Vietnam. There's information on the Internet, reading that it's Korean. Hm...?
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Perhaps a Korean company sub-contracting to Vietnamese development firms?