There will be some Salora Manager at SAKU2014 computer event

jvaltane

There will be some Salora Manager at SAKU2014 computer event

Post by jvaltane » Mon May 12, 2014 9:40 am

Any ideas what to show with it? Is there any killer apps/games/demos?

Setup will be:
  • Salora Manager
  • joysticks
  • 3 games at cartridges
  • original manuals
  • some casette-thing (Salora Fellow) if I find it. But at least laptop as casette player.
You can find event posters (finnish and english) at: http://saku.amigafin.org/yhdistys/tapah ... index.html
- Joni
MADrigal
Site Admin

Re: There will be some Salora Manager at SAKU2014 computer e

Post by MADrigal » Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 am

The event will be a great success - and your Salora Manager will be a hit!

Feel free to peek from the CreatiVEmu website to download and print Salora Manager-related stuff, such as articles from old magazines, promo flyers, advertisements, etc. ;)

You have very nice games to show with the computer: Chopper Rescue, Police Jump and Auto Chase - no bad at all!

And hopefully you'll meet people owning a Salora Manager or peripherals. In such case, please try to get as much stuff as possible, I would eventually buy your duplicates for my collection :)

And eventually you will meet people working at Salora, it's a great chance to get information from them :)
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Mon May 12, 2014 11:38 am

Good luck! I displayed my Laser 2001 about five years ago and got an offer to buy it right on the spot, but I think that was pure luck.

As far as I know, there is very little software exclusive for the 2001 and Manager models, most of it would also run on the CreatiVision in one form or the other, including those cartridge games converted into tapes. With the development of new hardware and software, perhaps there eventually will be more computer specific software.
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Mon May 12, 2014 3:25 pm

i was at 3 different Retro events the last month with the CreatiVision and my SM, one in germany and 2 in the netherlands. The interest in the machine was amazing! A lot search a NEW retro machine, new means with a new homebrew scene and new software at the beginning. And here the CV/SM are the best one.
I also show how to load homebrew on the SM from iPhone. I do it with converted ROM games and my demo, with use of the SMBloader tool.
On one of this events i sold one CV for an amazing price. I collect a huge list with people waiting the release of my games and new demos.
So i think to show the SM is the right time now. And maybe at this time i have finished one more game and i make then a special SM version :D for you to show.
jvaltane

Post by jvaltane » Tue May 13, 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks for the tips. I already tried to convert some images with SMBloader.

4k images worked like charm, but Tetris was only 8k image which I have been able to convert. I got always trashed graphics. 16k images did not work at all. Any advice how to convert 8k or even 16k images.

I'm very interested to see new hardware and software on old machines. Couple of active users means fun for whole community.
- Joni
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Tue May 13, 2014 6:22 pm

use the SBMloader with the option -a 42, is the best for SM. We test with different values and this works perfect. Also when i convert an send to Tom. he can load with his SM. All Cart games emu images up to 8k you can convert without problems or extra work, only load with bload $a000 for 8K or bload $a000 for 4k games. And then start with call -138.

Emu roms bigger 8k like 12k you need before convert with SMBloader to cut and put together in other order because in the emu rom the program is not in raw order. The emu loads the first 8k from a 12k rom to $a000, the next 4k to $7000 for example. I use DD for Win.

My actual project, the Maze game, is now over 8k and i make a 12k bin, i use one ORG at $7000 for the datas and another at $a000 for the code.
Then after compile i make:

dd if=a.out of=7000.bin bs=4096 count=1
dd if=a.out of=a000.bin bs=4096 count=2 skip=3
copy /b a000.bin + 7000.bin rom.bin

Then the emu can load the first 8k to $a000 and the next 4k to $7000. When i compile for the SM then i use only one org and no need to re-org.

16k EMU roms you can NOT load to the SM because some RAM part is mirrored. BUT you can use on the CSL Cart and the CreatiVision :D
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Tue May 13, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi,

Mobsie is right, but you could expand your Salora Manger to 32K and then the unaltered 8K, 12k, 16K and so should also work ;0)

Maybe a replica Ramexpansion will be my next Little Project, Madrigal has send me Pictures of his original, and it should not be a Problem to produce a couple of These...
Only there is a very small market for These ;0)

TOM:0)
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Tue May 13, 2014 7:10 pm

Hi Tom,
great idea! One for me.
jvaltane

Post by jvaltane » Wed May 14, 2014 5:59 pm

bload $a000 worked fine with 8k images. cv compatibility pokes caused the corruption. No joy input without cv mode. So I think I'll demo 4k and homebrew + cartridges.

Thanks a lot about smbloader help. I was not completely sure what to do with that.

I'm interested in extra ram also. :)
- Joni
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Thu May 15, 2014 7:49 am

Hi,

About the Salora Manager (Laser 2001) 16K Expansion => I think i can patch the CSL Cart PCB to act like a 16K Expansion (i think i only Need two wires! wow! i feel like Mac Gyver ;0))

Will update you soon!

TOM:0)