Scramble

Talk about programming of homebrew games only.
Mobsie

Scramble

Post by Mobsie » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi,
today i upload my latest CreatiVision Demo for you. Is a Scramble clone. Thanks to "Rasmus" from Atariage to use his Charset. He make an excellent Scramble clone for the Ti-99/4a.
You can watch the demo, you can press "Reset" for game select. In game-select mode ONLY start game is active. Then in the "game" mode you can move the ship and fire.
Is not a lot and only to show what is possible. I use 2 pixel scrolling, 1 pixel soft scrolling is also possible. In a real game i would change the drawscreen routine to draw some lines each frame offscreen to save transfer time.
The MAP is not very big and repeat at the end, then for some time we have graphics error. After this the scrolling start from the beginning.
Enjoy the Demo, i hope you like it.
scramble.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TBCTBC

Re: Scramble

Post by TBCTBC » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:54 am

Looks very nice!
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:06 pm

here the demo on our new CV emu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcyLf9xyE3E
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:33 pm

Absolutely gorgeous!!!
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Some tech info today. I rewrite my complete scroll function, now i use the free VDP-RAM for the Map. With this i save a lot ROM space because in the ROM i store the packed map, then extract to the VDP-RAM. The 2 Pixel scrolling use 4 frames for the 8 Pixel. In the frames 1-3 i draw a 1/3 from the screen in an second Name-Table. Then in the next frame 0 i switch to the hidden name table and so on. I have here a lot cpu time left because of only draw 1/3. And i don`t need use CV RAM for this, is free for other stuff. And the Map`s can be really big now. Also i can change the Map now for example when destroyed something etc. With Map in the ROM this is not possible. Let see how far i can go here.
I use the new video-output function in the new emu, the video looks really great and easy to make now.
http://youtu.be/ty1bI0N4BEs
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:57 am

With some Stars now.
http://youtu.be/Xr1fxAjT4mY
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:36 pm

Let the rocket launch :)
http://youtu.be/9NlIUK65ruw
Next time we will have launched rocket delete in the map, normal shoot and bomb`s.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:16 pm

it is incredible!!!
my suggestions:
1. remove stars
2. use charset bullets (not sprites) to avoid sprites flickering
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi Luca, welcome back.
Yes i change to charset bullet, i have used the ship body sprite for shoot only to show something.
You think without stars is better?
At the beginning it was only a tech demo to learn from, but now i think i make the real game.
First Galaxy Ranger, then this one. Color Maze will come at the end.
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:04 am

As far as I can see, most Scramble games on other platforms have a pitch black sky. Same thing about Defender games. I suppose a slowly scrolling starfield might be nice, but then again so much else is scrolling and moving that it'd be superfluous. I suppose the flying comets won't be there on every single level? Perhaps some levels can have stars and some don't.