WIP: Reversi

Talk about programming of homebrew games only.
carlsson

Re: WIP: Reversi (was Othello)

Post by carlsson » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:40 am

Yes, I get a blue background. I suppose I'm using v0.49 from 2009 as uploaded to the website. All colour codes were also verified vs TMS9918 specification, so I would notice immediately if some colours were not as expected.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:30 pm

carlsson wrote:Yes, I get a blue background. I suppose I'm using v0.49 from 2009 as uploaded to the website. All colour codes were also verified vs TMS9918 specification, so I would notice immediately if some colours were not as expected.
This is extremely odd. I'm using the exe coming from my website, V0.49, on my Win7 x64 PC, and... this is what I see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:34 pm

And this happens with current version of CvEmu2 for Windows. Same PC with Win7 x64
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Haha! On my computer at work, I'm getting a GREEN background while at home I get a BLUE background.

It is possible that I have misunderstood default foreground and background though, I shall have a look at it later tonight.

If you have a hex editor available, the value $41 at offset $1ff7 should be part of the initial VDP setup and correspond to a default blue background and black foreground. As far as I can tell, the foreground is rather irrelevant as the colour sets are defined later on. All the other colours are right though, just not the background as I set it.
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:42 pm

After some studying, it turned out that I had swapped around the background and foreground settings in the VDP setup. After fixing that, CvEmu2 displays the right colours.

However FunnyMu or perhaps the SDL library gets confused whenever one uses colour sets with transparent background. The resulting background colour is not the one set on startup, but rather some mixed colour that isn't part of the VDP palette. I tried to figure out if the final background is relative to either the foreground or background in the VDP settings, but I didn't get a conclusive answer.

The practical result of course is to avoid using transparent background colours. However it would make it a bit more complex to change overall background colour on the fly, which otherwise I imagine could be done by changing the VDP setup values just like one might be able to shift pattern name tables (different screens stored in VDP memory), perhaps pattern generator tables etc. One day I'll make a such test program as well to see if CvEmu2 handles those changes, and to what extent FunnyMu does too.

For now, I'll simply set the background colours in each colour set, and the problems won't occur anymore.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:47 am

> After some studying, it turned out that I had swapped around the
> background and foreground settings in the VDP setup. After fixing
> that, CvEmu2 displays the right colours.

:-)

> However FunnyMu or perhaps the SDL library gets confused whenever
> one uses colour sets with transparent background.

That's because the FunnyMu hasn't a perfect VDP emulation. It's a known issue since the original FunnyMu was released in 2002, and I wasn't able to fix it, even though I improved it a bit. It's in my "to do" list.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 pm

Hey Anders... any good news on the game development? Any new beta version to test? :)
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:22 pm

No improvements lately. I'm working on understanding controllers (mostly done) and sound first, and will then return to the finishing touches of the game.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi man, any progresses?
I'm really waiting to see the final source code, wanna learn some 6502 programming bits from it :-)
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Soon now. I was lazy in the weekend, but will try to wrap it up in a week or two.