Next project

Talk about programming of homebrew games only.

Which should be my next game project?

Tetris
13%
Bejeweled
No votes
Q*Bert
73%
Text adventure
13%
Cowthilde
No votes
Other / Unique
No votes

Total votes: 15
Harmik

Re: Next project

Post by Harmik » Mon May 06, 2013 6:35 am

That's a great idea
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Mon May 06, 2013 8:53 am

The only caveat is if either of those vaporware titles eventually would emerge, and suddenly there is a homebrew imagined on a former vaporware title that collides with the real title. I suppose the chance is very slim it will happen.

Apart from Skiing, I suppose Pharaoh's Curse is easy to imagine based on the Atari/C64/VIC versions, assuming the Creativision game would be developed on license from Synapse Software. See also Tutankham, Montezuma's Revenge and so on.

Boat Chase ~= Cobra Triangle (NES)?
Haunted Villa ~= Haunted House, Shamus, Robotron?
Parachute ~= some parachute game, G&W inspired?
The Great Rally ~= Pole Position, Safari Race (SG-1000) etc?
Astro Fighter ~= some shoot'em up, probably vertical scroll?

I would suggest some Rally-X game, but realized that Auto Chase is a Rally-X clone already.

Personally I don't have the dedication to make perfect ports of games from other systems. Implementing something similar to another title is OK, as long as nobody expects it to look and work just like the original. If nothing else, those titles could serve as inspiration for anyone who doesn't have own ideas what to develop.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Mon May 06, 2013 12:16 pm

> The only caveat is if either of those vaporware titles eventually would emerge

This is 99,99% impossible :-)

> I suppose Pharaoh's Curse is easy to imagine based on the Atari/C64/VIC versions,
> assuming the Creativision game would be developed on license from Synapse
> Software. See also Tutankham, Montezuma's Revenge and so on.

I dont think that VTech made any agreement with Synapse about porting their (lovely!) game to the CreatiVision... I suppose that all CV games were developed "internally", no 3rd parties were ever involved. :-(

> Boat Chase ~= Cobra Triangle (NES)?

I suppose Boat Chase would be a graphic hack to Auto Chase, in the same manner that Deep Sea Adventure is the graphic hack to Planet Defender.

Maybe Namco was about to sue VTech for the Auto Chase game, and VTech was getting ready to "convert" it into a boat game.

> Haunted Villa ~= Haunted House, Shamus, Robotron?

The name reminds me much as Shamus! :-)

> Parachute ~= some parachute game, G&W inspired?

Hey I coded the simulator for the Parachute G&W :-D

> The Great Rally ~= Pole Position, Safari Race (SG-1000) etc?

Or maybe even the crap Motor Mania ?

> Astro Fighter ~= some shoot'em up, probably vertical scroll?

It reminds me more like Skramble.

> Personally I don't have the dedication to make perfect ports of games from
> other systems. Implementing something similar to another title is OK, as long
> as nobody expects it to look and work just like the original.

I agree! The CV games *must* be clones/rip offs/inspired by other famous games :-)
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Mon May 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Hm, I forgot that Rally-X features cars just like Auto Chase does... I know that Commodore somehow got away when they redesigned their Rally-X clone into Radar Rat Race (for countries outside Japan), so it might very well be that Boat Chase would be a graphic hack. Of course if one wants to get really busy, they could make a clone of Hydra. :lol:

By Motor Mania, do you mean the UMI game for C64? See also Le Mans, Road Fighter and gazillions others. That kind of racing game should be rather easy to make, although I'd think a game in the Pole Position perspective is more exciting.

When it comes to shoot'em up games, Planet Defender already scrolls horizontally like a Defender or Skramble game, while to my knowledge no vertical scroller has yet been done. I know TBCTBC has made a vertical scroller, Photon for the Z80 computers Sord M5 and MSX but perhaps it isn't entirely trivial to rewrite the game engine in 6502 code so it'd be better to develop a new shooter.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Mon May 06, 2013 4:15 pm

> By Motor Mania, do you mean the UMI game for C64?

Yep! I played it a lot on the C64

> See also Le Mans, Road Fighter and gazillions others. That kind of racing game should be
> rather easy to make, although I'd think a game in the Pole Position perspective is more
> exciting.

Sure Pole Position is better!

But I suppose that a game in the mood of Burnin'Rubber/Bump'n Jump would be possible on the CreatiVision :)

> When it comes to shoot'em up games, Planet Defender already scrolls horizontally like
> a Defender or Skramble game, while to my knowledge no vertical scroller has yet been done.

I prefer horizontally scrolling games, they fit better the horizontal resolution of the CV :-)
TBCTBC

Post by TBCTBC » Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm

carlsson wrote: I know TBCTBC has made a vertical scroller, Photon for the Z80 computers Sord M5 and MSX but perhaps it isn't entirely trivial to rewrite the game engine in 6502 code so it'd be better to develop a new shooter.
It should be possible, I will definitely try to port Photon II to CV when it is finished for MSX/Sord M5.
RayXambeR

Post by RayXambeR » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:32 am

I have voted for Q*Bert but a puzzle game (tetras, bejeweled) could be great too!
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:11 am

Although I haven't wrapped up Reversi, nor even begun coding on the Q*Bert clone, another of my future projects that I really would be interested to do is a clone of the music game Jammin' (C64, CPC). Last year I posted a quick mock-up in the ColecoVision section of AtariAge, and since the VDP is the same, I realize the same graphics would work on the CreatiVision.
jammin-vdp.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:17 am

Are you truly interested in Jammin'? :shock:

I never personally played the game, but just watched at the video on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngw1Bq5VeDc

and... well... it caused me a sudden headache because of the changing colours everywhere! :lol:
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:48 am

Oh yes, I have played it regularly in the past 25+ years, although never in excessively long sessions. I think it is a neat puzzle-action concept and the idea to include a number of songs would fit my music player nicely although the SN76489 doesn't have the same waveform variations for different instruments as e.g. the SID has. Then again the CPC version must use the AY which is just a tad bit more advanced than the SN.

Another game that would be neat to have is a clone of Flipull by Taito. Jim Gerrie recently made a rather nice version for the Tandy MC-10, using its blocky graphics to the fullest. Obviously any VDP system would offer multitudes nicer graphics, closer to e.g. the NES or for that matter C64 ports.