30th January 2023
Happy New Year and time for a new update! And if you love emulation and playing new (and free!) homebrew games, this is the update you have been waiting for!
There is a small but active community of programmers of new games and programs for our CreatiVision and Laser 2001 systems. Most of these gentlemen meet and discuss via our Forum. Every now and then, a new demo or fully functional piece of software is released there! This time we have well eight new games released, and here they are - ready for free download for everyone to play!
But there is much more!
Around 2008 I purchased an insanely rare cartridge containing a diagnostic program to test the CreatiVision 6502 CPU. This cartridge was definitely a VTech original: not a commercial product but "for internal use". It was found (one copy only) in the warehouse of the (now closed) official CreatiVision repair centre in Italy, owned by Zanussi Elettronica.
I believe VTech provided each repair centre with one copy of such cartridge. This would mean that just a handful of cartridges are in existence. The one in my possession is the only one I have ever seen or heard about.
The cartridge worked well when I first tested it, but then when the EPROM was unsoldered (so that it could be dumpet), it got slightly damaged. The dump is there, but it is partial. I then sent the EPROM to a MAME team member who was in charge to repair it - but he lost it.
Since 2010, no one knows where my one-of-a-kind EPROM is.
I have decided to release all my partial dumps of the EPROM, together with information and a Hex editor tool I created many years ago specifically to work on this ROM. I hope that one day, someone will be able to fix this rare file.
The below files are now available in the Emulation/ROM Programs section. They all work on emulators and real hardware:
- Cross Bomber (by Fabrizio Caruso)
- Cross Chase (by Fabrizio Caruso)
- Cross Horde (by Fabrizio Caruso)
- Cross Shoot (by Fabrizio Caruso, reduced 18K and full 32 versions)
- Cross Snake (by Fabrizio Caruso)
- Cross Verbix (by Fabrizio Caruso)
- Diagnostic "C" (CPU) (VTech, partial dump + Bit Editor tool)
- Match 3 (by Max Breedon)
- Tile Breaker/Breakthrough (CV version, conversion by Kym Greenshields)
- Tile Breaker/Breakthrough (Salora Manager version, conversion by Kym Greenshields)
As usual, I am also releasing scans and manuals of original games, which I received by generous friends - we are all trying to fill all the gaps in the Releases/Software section, one scanned document at a time:
- Astro Pinball (German CreatiVision) (scans of box)
- Locomotive (CreatiVision) (high-resolution re-scans of manual)
- Bowling (Wizzard, cassette (alternate box with customised title)
Credits go to Fabrizio Caruso, Max Breedon, Kym Greenshields, Christian Beslmuller and Darren Robertson (also author of the beautiful "Space Duel" game appearing on the Wizzard Second Book of Programs).
Enjoy the new files - and happy new year everyone!
Site news (2023)
Please read before attempting to register and posting!
1 post • Page 1 of 1
1 post • Page 1 of 1