Hello from Tasmania Australia

Post here first, tell us about yourself, your interests, your country...
Roxbury

Hello from Tasmania Australia

Post by Roxbury » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:00 am

Hi There,

I am a retro video games collector from Tasmania. I have a fairly large collection, including lots of 8/16/32 bit consoles, BBC, Commodore Computers, Game & Watch, and a bunch of arcade machines & PCBs. I also have modern consoles, Nintendo 3DS & Wii U are my favourites. One area I have been focussing on lately is less common early 80s consoles and computers. I was fortunate enough to come across a Dick Smith Wizzard console, and have 11 carts.

What I normally do when I get a new console is clean it up, repair it and perform a video mod if required. Then put away, and take out and play when I get time. Picture below:

The console itself is in very good condition, almost looks new. The box is a bit beat up, and I have a couple of spare joystick/ keyboard panels.

The power supply doesn't work, and I am going to make a replacement. I will make a post in the relevant thread.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Tasmania Australia

Post by MADrigal » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:13 am

Very happy to meet you, Tassie friend. Welcome to the forum! :)

Your console looks great indeed, and the collection of games is fantastic!

About the power supply, I would suggest you to try your best to fix it, most of the times you can really fix them. There are often tiny fuses hidden in the micro-wires spiral (sorry I don't know how to translate that..) and you can simply remove them in order to have the PSU working again.
Or, please check the plugs very well as the soldering often get broken.

Best of luck with your unit. Greets from Canberra.
Roxbury

Post by Roxbury » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks for that. Do you have pictures of where the fuse is located?
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:30 am

Unfortunately not. I have found a fuse just once, in a broken PSU. It was sort of "hidden" in the "spiral wire", very very tiny. I would suggest you to give a deep look at that wire, you may be lucky and spot a broken fuse there.
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:09 pm

Hi Roxbury,

The PSU of the DSW (or Creativision) sometimes get very hot, so they have a "safety heat fuse" which (sadly) most of the times is located under the transformer windings... i have repaired a PSU with such a faulty fuse, find Pictures here: http://www.8bit-homecomputermuseum.at/r ... glish.html
But it is a very tedious and timeconsuming process... ;0(

Greetings from Austria, TOM:0)
Roxbury

Post by Roxbury » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:06 pm

Wow that is a very involved process to repair the PSU if it needs unwinding! I have spent plenty of time doing tedious repairs, but I think I would rather replace the power supply to avoid that effort!
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:08 pm

Well in my case the fuse was almost on the surface of the windings. Its a matter of luck
sprazzi

Post by sprazzi » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:08 pm

that is really a labour of love... .)