Hello from Japan

Post here first, tell us about yourself, your interests, your country...
Ransom

Hello from Japan

Post by Ransom » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:49 pm

Hi, I'm a game developer that loves playing around with old hardware! :)

Like most interested in this hobby, necessity requires that I also become an amateur electronics repair person as these things are constantly breaking.

My CreatiVision died (power supply I think...) so I'm hoping to glean some repair info from these forums and get 'er back in business so I can exhibit it on an upcoming "retro night" at my cafe. ( c2kyoto.com )

Appreciate that forums like this still exist and aren't hidden behind an unsearchable Discord server or whatever.
Seth A. Robinson
www.rtsoft.com
cheshirenoir

Re: Hello from Japan

Post by cheshirenoir » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:25 am

Welcome Seth!
I haven't had to rebuild a new PSU myself, but all the info on what voltages etc etc are here, so it shouldn't be too impossible. Also, modern PCB design and fabrication means a custom board is a single click away.

Let me know if you need any additional help. First thing I'd be looking at, would be sourcing suitable AC transformers to give you the correct AC voltages you need. (9V should be easy. 16v could be more interesting)

Cheers and welcome!

Chesh
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:55 am

Hi Ransom,

and welcome to the forum!

Please open a "repair" thread and please post a few pictures of your Console and of the PSU...
Is yours an NTSC version?
110V or 220V?
It may have a different PSU...
I have repaired a few Creativision PSUs - sometimes you are lucky and only a solderjoint in the plug was loose (this happens a lot!) sometimes the Thermo-Fuse inside has blown, one time i had to rewind the whole transformer...)

Cheers, TOM:0)
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:47 am

Very welcome Seth!
Problem is the NTSC Japanese CreatiVision uses 110V DC power. The unit does not have the signal 'rectifiers' (diodes).
So if Seth has a NTSC-J model, our standard diagrams won't work.
Ransom

Post by Ransom » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:18 pm

Yep, it's an NTSC Japanese model. The power supply says 100V, "Cherryko" branded, hmm. Will take a close look and open a thread with pics if it isn't an obvious problem. Thanks for the replies and info!
Seth A. Robinson
www.rtsoft.com
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:54 am

If you could post a photo of the power supply sticker, the one showing the diagram of the plug, that would help. And I believe it says 'DC' instead of 'AC'.
Ransom

Post by Ransom » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:05 am

Thanks, I've posted the pic in a new thread in the hardware area.
Seth A. Robinson
www.rtsoft.com