Hello From Canada

Post here first, tell us about yourself, your interests, your country...
raritynine

Hello From Canada

Post by raritynine » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:24 pm

Introducing myself, I am a fan of video game consoles and 8-bit computers worldwide since approx 1985 - very much like the less common ones. Remember I am in NTSC/110VAC land so less common to me typically means PAL and ~220VAC mains. I used to concentrate solely on Colecovision/Coleco ADAM initially - hence my having to think twice when the Creativision is referred to as the "CV" - as that meant something different to me for many years. At one time I owned no less than 7 Creativisions/Dick Smith Wizzards because if something intrigues me, I tend to jump in with both feet. I have scaled that back now to 3 units and since I only own one original power supply, my next project will be to make my own - probably two - they will have the added benefit of being 110VAC source instead of having to use a step-up transformer like I do now. 2nd task will be to once again attempt to make my joysticks more responsive, I had mixed results last time I tried.
Thanks for the ad, will see you all in the forums.
Scouter3d

Re: Hello From Canada

Post by Scouter3d » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:52 pm

Hi raritynine! Welcome!
7 Creativisions - wow! But 3 are a good amount also :0)
You will find a few solutions regarding PSU and Controllers in this forum... But you sound like a "pro"
PS: once i also owned a Coleco ADAM (at least he Colecovision to "ADAM" Expansion :0))
Cheers, TOM:0)
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:26 pm

Hi,

welcome here.
cheshirenoir

Post by cheshirenoir » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:45 pm

Hi @raritynine,
I recently built a new transformer for my CreatiVisions, which was an interesting learning experience (I hate hate hate working with high voltage AC).

If you have any questions, ask here and I'll see what I can do to help :-)

(I have always told people that the CreatiVision feels like a ColecoVision with the Z80 swapped for a 6502)

John
raritynine

Post by raritynine » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:48 am

cheshirenoir wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:45 pm

(I have always told people that the CreatiVision feels like a ColecoVision with the Z80 swapped for a 6502)

John
That is how I described it at an ADAM convention years ago. At about 3:20 of this Youtube I show one of my Creativisions in a presentation I called "Almost ADAM" I also showed my Hanimex Pencil II computer and a (theretofore unknown) Colecovision game prototype I had found

https://youtu.be/I7igfsHSKSQ
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:19 am

Hi raritynine, very cool video! Cheers, TOM:0)
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:58 am

Welcome to the forum, my friend. It was about time :-)
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:06 am

Great video by the way!
Comment to the video
Yes, the only official NTSC CreatiVision was released in Japan, however recently a proper boxed, packaged and complete US NTSC console was spotted. Probably an early attempt to hit the US market, however it was definitely not a prototype (like the Brazillian NTSC one I have) but a properly packaged model.
Note that the ColecoVision converter was originally designed to work on CreatiVision Mark 2 (the first models don't have the right circuits to make it work) via the usual cartridge port. A few were even made but never hit the shelves.
Eventually, after the Cv MK2 got discontinued in 1984, the converters were modified to work with the Laser 2001 and Salora Manager computers instead. Look for my videos on Youtube, I made one with QBert and one with Donkey Kong - Colecovision versions running on Salora Manager.