Introducing Bill Bovill

Post here first, tell us about yourself, your interests, your country...
billbovill

Introducing Bill Bovill

Post by billbovill » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:19 pm

Hi all,

The Dick Smith Wizzard was my first computer back in the early 80s. I still work in IT, so it had a lasting effect on me.

I actually wrote a program called Omega Battle which was published in the Dick Smith Wizzard Second Book of Programs (and got paid for it!).

Anyway, I wrote an article about it and wanted to share: http://bill.bovill.com.au/index.php/201 ... hone-call/

I will have to get myself another Dick Smith Wizzard one day, even if just to show my son. It makes me very happy to know there are still people out there keeping these awesome old computers alive and showing amazing dedication.

Cheers
Bill
MADrigal
Site Admin

Re: Introducing Bill Bovill

Post by MADrigal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:18 pm

Dear Bill,

it's a real pleasure to meet you here on the message board! :)

I read your article, what a nice reading!

I wish you could send me scans of the documents you got from Dick Smith, or whatever stuff you kept for all these years (other program listings, letters, etc.)
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Mon May 09, 2011 11:03 am

Welcome Bill!

AU$ 150 sounds like a lot of money for the rights to publish your listing among a lot of listings? On the other hand, I don't know how many copies of those books were sold, so Dick Smith could make a profit in the end.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Tue May 10, 2011 6:47 pm

I came across the "First" and "Second Book of Programs for the DSW" several times these years. I had several copies in my hands, and I think it was a "best seller" those days.

I suppose D.S. Publishing made a lot of money with those books :-)