Power supplies

Discuss the CreatiVision hardware: models, revisions, fixing, hacking and modding.
jpx072

Re: Power supplies

Post by jpx072 » Thu May 15, 2014 5:58 am

I checked the schematics and found out that it should work. But I think I have not enough Volts on 12V line, I measured it more precisely and it's showing only 11,3V. Will try something and report. -5V on RAMs is ok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Thu May 15, 2014 6:23 am

Hi,

Just found out, that it is possible to ruin a 7805 or 7812 Regulator, when the Voltage on the "out" pin is higher than on the "in" pin...
Sadly the article is in german...
http://www.elektronik-kompendium.de/pub ... eg3pin.htm

Maybe it is not that easy?

TOM:0)
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Thu May 15, 2014 6:29 am

one friend run his CV like jpx072 want, so it is possible. BUT he got it from me without any function and maybe the regulators are damaged because now it works and with regular power supplies not.
jpx072

Post by jpx072 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:06 am

I tried to remove the regulators from the board. Same results.... :-(
But I suspect the lower voltage, for example - on a famicom, 0,5V lower voltage causes heavy graphical glitches.
Going to try different PSU.
Also thinking about different GND for power part and computer part...
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Thu May 15, 2014 9:14 am

Regarding the AC inputs, it just struck me that the Spectravideo SVI-318/328 also use the 9VAC + 16VAC arrangement, although its power supply is slightly beefier and obviously uses a different connector, the same one as used on TI-99/4(A) and ColecoVision (but all three having different voltages and pinouts). It really doesn't help us, as the Spectravideo power supplies are also hen's teeth and with its uncommon connector, one would get hunted to the other side of the planet if you found one and chopped it off to replace with a 5-pin DIN. :P

However it suggests there should be a "market" or at least a series of different devices that take this combination of voltages. Interestingly both VTech and Spectravideo were Hong Kong companies, but I doubt it would be something unique to Hong Kong to use those two AC voltages to power their electronics.
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Thu May 15, 2014 7:19 pm

i ordered today 2 AC9N16V from DOSS. Is from another seller, he means the pinout is exact what we need. But i wait and see self.
MADrigal
Site Admin

Post by MADrigal » Thu May 15, 2014 7:25 pm

This power supply (look at the attached picture) was found on Ebay, sold with an Italian CreatiVision (Zanussi).

I suppose it's a replacement PSU sold to Zanussi, as a replacement for some "original" PSU which came broken from Hong Kong.

It was produced locally by PMA, which was a sort of "external supplier" of Zanussi - and it's located not far from the Zanussi factories in northern Italy.

PMA is still alive and they still produce electric equipments. Maybe they have some stock of these power supplies, and they could sell for cheap.

Do you want me to send them an email? Anyone needs similar power supplies to buy?

url: http://www.pma-italy.com/ -> there's even an English version of the website.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mobsie

Post by Mobsie » Thu May 15, 2014 7:45 pm

i not need one at the moment, BUT a lot people search or don't have one. This say me something will happen to all this supplies. So better be prepared when the day come and all my power supplies are gone :D
carlsson

Post by carlsson » Thu May 15, 2014 10:01 pm

I suppose price might be an issue, the Doss ones are rather cheap compared to whatever else I've found. For that matter, I sent them a request by email and got zero response. Perhaps contacting one of the two eBay sellers is more meaningful, in case that is how Mobsie got his business done.
Mamejay

Post by Mamejay » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:59 am

If anyone is interested I live in Melbourne and will be buying one of these cheap power supplies and testing. If it works I can arrange to purchase for anyone. Just pay the cost and shipping and I can forward them onto.
They say they are out of stock but I will call the supplier tomorrow and see if they can get more.