Simple Atari-Style Joystick to Creativision adaptor

Discuss the CreatiVision hardware: models, revisions, fixing, hacking and modding.
Scouter3d

Re: Simple Atari-Style Joystick to Creativision adaptor

Post by Scouter3d » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:39 pm

Here is the schematic to connect an Atari style joystick to the left CV controllerplug WITH diagonals!
(for the right controller a few wires need to be switched around...)

the button on the right side acts as the second FIRE button

the cirquit needs +5V and GND...

Cheers, TOM:0)
Atari_CV_with_diagonal_left_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrLurch

Post by MrLurch » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:42 pm

Needing something to play with and had *never* done any PCB design before, I took your layout into Fritzing (it was recommended to me as a pcb design software for dummies) and came out with this (attached)
Would someone be able to take a look and lemme know if i'm even remotely close?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cheshirenoir

Post by cheshirenoir » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:40 am

I'm using the Seeed Stuido Gerber viewer to have a look and I can see a couple of issues straight up. The DB9 is missing 2 different connections and you have pins 6 and 8 connected, whereas they need to go to different pins. Also the button is shorted, but that seems to be an issue in the original as well.

Chesh
MrLurch

Post by MrLurch » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:21 am

cheshirenoir wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:40 am
I'm using the Seeed Stuido Gerber viewer to have a look and I can see a couple of issues straight up. The DB9 is missing 2 different connections and you have pins 6 and 8 connected, whereas they need to go to different pins. Also the button is shorted, but that seems to be an issue in the original as well.

Chesh
Taking a closer look - auto-route seems to have made a mess of it... /sigh
cheshirenoir

Post by cheshirenoir » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:28 am

Pin 1 of the DB 9 seems unconnected. Pin 4 of the DB 9 seems to be going to the wrong pins of the edge connector (I think pins 6 and 7 on the edge connector are incorrect). Pin 9 on the edge connector (Pink above) is unconnected.

I also put together my own version, if it'd help. I used KiCAD, as it's what I know.
ACVJ.png
I can also generate Gerbers if you need them.
MrLurch

Post by MrLurch » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:46 am

cheshirenoir wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:40 am

Chesh
Third time is a charm?
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:47 am

Hi,

just to let you know: my cirquit works fine for UP, DOWN,LEFT, RIGHT and both FIRE buttons.
The 45degree Diagonals work fine in BASIC, but due to the way different cartridges read and interpret the original 16ways joystick, the carts with diagonal movement may or may not interpret the diagonals correctly.

The joystick part of the controllers should be relativly easy to fix (if you want to open the controller and use a multimeter to measure) sometimes cleaning the contact fom the foil to the snall PCB is enough, sometimes wires from the PCB to the CV are disconnected, and sometimes the foil needs a bit of repainting with silverpaint.

Also: some games need a keypress ("6" or "B" / "7" or "N") on the pad to start! You would need to simulate one of this Keys also... I used my adapter in combination with the original CV moving keyboard...

the upcoming PS/2 interface will feature a plug for the left Joystick (with diagonals)...
Sadly there is no mechanical-easy way to recreate the 16ways Joystick...

MrLurch

Post by MrLurch » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:57 am

Being completely new to this, do many games *require* diagonals?
Scouter3d

Post by Scouter3d » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:09 am

MrLurch wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:57 am
Being completely new to this, do many games *require* diagonals?
Hi,

a few do and play much better with diagonals (All the "Defender" clones and Tennis for instance)

the "pacman" clones like crazy chicky do not need diags, Sonic Invaders and Airsea also play fine without diags...
Cosmic Pinball also works without diags

Mamejay

Post by Mamejay » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:33 am

I started playing around with a board design and came up with this.
Used a USB-B connector to get the 5V power and SMD logic.
If anyone wants this its in Eagle and I can post it up.